Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Default Re: IVO InFlight Adjustable

Here's the service information from Rotax with written instructions.

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/cdrive/massweight.pdf

The wire is just described as "thin". I used .035 MIG wire since it was handy around the shop. The initial degrees of rotation is not exactly critical, but they say 5 to 10 degrees.

I don't think many (if any) would stop using the IVO... So far it doesn't seem to really be an issue at least with the medium on the 100hp.

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox2009 View Post
    Hi Norm
    Not sure about about the pitch. The model is a UR370+PE KFOX /912/80.
    I told IVO the aircraft and engine type and this is what was recommended.
    I get 5800 on takeoff and start putting a bit of pitch in through climb out to maintain 5500 or so. I usually cruise at 52 to 5400 if I want to get somewhere . Hardly ever run it under 5000 unless in the circuit.
    When are you in the air?
    Cheers
    Don
    Hi Don, I own a Kitfox 5 outback rotax 912 ul with a CSG 68 prop. I have 2 Ivoprop light - 1 is standard and the other Patriot (thinner) 1 blades is 34 iches. What is the blade you are using? What is your cruise speed at 75% power. Cheers Raff

G`morning Raff
    When I bought my Vixen it came with a 68 inch GSC. I never did fool around with the pitch but if I remember correctly it flew at MAX high 90`s MPH at about 5500 RPM at 2500 ASL.

I changed to a 70 inch IVO IFA on the recommendation of many folks on this forum. I elected to go with the Ultralite model as my 912UL is a mid 90`s version and may have a lighter drive than later engines. I sent the engine serial number and a/c type to IVO and ordered their recommendation,so I am not sure if it is Patriot blades or not. The prop now has over 600 hours on it, and like has been mentioned, the planetary/motor assembly on these is pretty small and can be subject short life if you are constantly dinking around with the pitch controller!
    I would say this is a good low budget IFA setup for the 80 HP engines but, of course with deep pockets and 100+HP the Airmaster is definitely the way to go.
    I am always surprised at how much throttle and/or pitch adjustment is necessary on cross country flights, especially in the mountains. The CS and a bunch of cash would take care of that!!
    Oh, to answer your question, I can now cruise at 115 or so with the IVO.

I really believe in order to get performance and efficiency out of these small engines IFA pitch really helps.
    Good luck with your experiment.
    Cheers
    Don

If the IVO IFA is set up properly, just as the electric motor is starting to run to the end of its limits (and is starting to bind) the circuit breaker should turn off. I move my IVO prop switch probably 20 to 30 times every time I fly and I've had the same prop motor for more than a decade.

My recommendation to anyone going with an IVO IFA: Follow the directions on how to set up the limiting washers so the motor isn't overloaded, and do not shorten the wires for the switch and the breaker as the resistance in the wire is part of the design.

Maybe I've just been lucky all these years with my motor, but my luck usually goes the other way

Oh, and I have another plane that has a Hartzel Constant Speed prop on it. It works very well, but it also costs 20+ grand. By comparison the IVO is a incredible value. If they could just solve the short life stainless leading edge tape issue I would be tickled pink over the IVO IFA.

HI av8rps
    I your IVO the Ultralight or Medium model?

Ultralight version with the low pitch blades. I originally had the higher pitch blades and I couldnt get static rpm any higher than 5 grand when pitched flat for takeoff (too much molded in pitch in prop). A 100 hp 912 would do fine with the higher pitched or the Patriot blades, but for my 81 hp 912 the lower pitched blades work better.
    Last edited by av8rps; 03-05-2018 at 10:33 PM.

Sounds good. Mine must be the same, then.

What static RPM are guys setting the prop for as a maximum and how many washer/spacers are you putting in to limit it so that it can't over rev on takeoff?
    THANKS

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I set my Ivo IFA 3 blade medium on my 912 uls for colder tempatures so that I could get 5800 On take off , for ski flying. In summer temps it will overspeed if you have it set full fine. You get to know where to set it or adjust while rolling to avoid over revving.

I have a medium 3 blade Ivo IFA available for sale now if some one is interested .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Hi Kevin,

I’m interested in your IFA prop if you could send me some more information on what comes with it and what type of price you’re at.

Thanks, Mike