Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: EGT Sensor 912is Sport

Default EGT Sensor 912is Sport

On a recent trip (see report under 'Where I Fly') I had No 4 EGT sensor go, resulting in Lane A warning light flashing and the MGL screen lighting up red! After some phone calls, it was arranged to dispatch 2 loaners from our friendly Rotax people ( because they didnt have new one in stock they took 2 off a TBO engine). It was great they sent 2 as the first one didnt work!

Anyway, apart from the fact that I was in a very remote area of Australia that only gets mail via a truck every 5 days, it presented an interesting decision making process. In theory, the EGT sensor wont stop the engine running. However, the computer does use the info apparently to map the fuel air mixture. My advice was that running it with the EGT broken would probably result in a fuel burn of 2-3 lt more per hour, but not much else. However, I decided not to test this given that I as in extremely remote country, plus the fact that it would not have been very pleasant flying with the red lights flashing all the time - not to mention the probable agitated state of my loyal co-pilot all the way!!!

Anyway, we are back home now. This is the second EGT probe I have had go. they are not cheap items ( about $270 AUS) and I believe the 915is sport has re designed EGT probes. I am currently exploring if they will fit the 912 is Sport.

Although expensive, I don't think I will be venturing into remote areas without a spare in future!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: EGT Sensor 912is Sport

Tough luck Ross! Glad to hear you still had a good trip.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Sorry to hear that Ross. Can I ask, how many hours on that motor?

Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I think my copilot would have insisted on the same choice of action. She doesn't like red lights and still hasn't forgiven me for leaning the mixture a bit too much once in a TB10 and making the engine splutter a tiny bit.......that was 27 years and about 17000 hours ago but she still doesn't trust me

HI Eddie - 390hrs on the engine now.

cheers
    r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I had a Dynon EGT sensor (for 912uls) go out at about 500 hours. The new one is working but seems to consistently read about 100F higher than the old original one. Guess I should have replaced both at the same time?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS