Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Choice

Default Re: Tire Choice

Thanks for all the input. I think I will change my order and get the smoothies.
    Bill Rathbun
    Franktown, CO
    RV10 built and sold
    Kitfox SS on order

I've had Desser 21" smoothies for almost 1,400 hours now. I'm hoping to get another 1,000 hours after rotating them last year. If and when the time comes, I will buy another set. Incidentally, I run with tubes and Slime. Only one leak due to landing on cat heads before the Slime and no slippage. Great tires! Nice compromise for a cheap ass.

You asked for opinions so here's mine. I've been running the 22" Dessers with tubes for about 2 and a half years. I couldn't be any more pleased. For my type flying they're perfect. I fly out of a 6000' paved airport without an official grass runway but I do land on the grass a lot. I fly in and out of grass strips pretty often. I don't do sand bars or mountain tops. The Desser is a good compromise for pavement and grass. They wear very well on pavement and with the Grove gear the bumps are not very noticeable. They're a big improvement over the old hard 6.50's and I didn't notice any speed loss. I run around 15 pounds of air so I've never known them to move on the rim. They've been absolutely trouble free.

Bruce, got your pm and i replied. I dont think my pm's are going out. Got pics? Here's my eeeemail. nougaret at verizon dot net
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Thanks for your comments Floog. Your experience is the main reason I plan to switch to the Desser 22" smoothies. I know you go anywhere Scott goes with his 26" airstreak bushwheels-Mile Hi, all over Idaho and Oregon, river bars, etc.

If finances allowed I would choose the bushwheels, but only for the cool factor, and more margin for bad or poorly chosen landing areas. They also would be easier on the landing gear/airframe in cases of rougher than anticipated landings. Maybe the Desser 22" tires make you a little better pilot in carefully evaluating your landing areas.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS