Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone covered the top of kf and eliminate the sky light?

Default Has anyone covered the top of kf and eliminate the sky light?

After watching steward covering , I saw where he covered the interior with fabric. Has anyone cover the interior, eliminated the sky lite or covered the front triangles on the top with fabric? I know this would take away some vision.

Default Re: Has anyone covered the top of kf and eliminate the sky light?

I covered my glass (exept the front windshield) with automotive window tint plastic. It made a big difference on sunny days and was easy to apply (just wet it and apply).

I like being able to see out of the top of the plane. In a turn, if you are banking at all steep, you can see into the turn over the top of the wing instead of it blocking your view, especially to the right. Have to be a bit steeper to the left... I didn't put the windows in behind the doors though. Take care, Jim Chuk

I think I will do both, auto Toni sound great, I can alway remove if I don't like it, the window behind door, I could not figure why it was installed. Maybe light in storage? I am leaving it out. Thanks for the help

I find the windows behind the doors useful when on downwind in the pattern so I can glance back and see the runway threshold so I know when to turn base.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by gizmos View Post
    the window behind door, I could not figure why it was installed. Maybe light in storage? I am leaving it out. Thanks for the help
    I think sometimes things are done for aesthetics. The window just continues the bottom angle of the door rather than giving the side of the airplane a chopped look. I agree that functionally it is not needed. And I have always had a problem turning my head 180° so have never looked at the rudder through the turtle deck glass, but the looks are classic Kitfox.

One thing to consider covering the overhead structure. I use the tubing a lot as a hand hold getting in and out of the airplane and shifting in the seat during long flight legs.

Visibility? I much prefer the open butt rib and #1 rib. When I built, the manual called for covering this area with a small window exposing the sight tube. A nice varnish job on the exposed ribs looks much better than any fabric job I have seen and it is possible to see the fuel through the tank end. One of the Arizona guys made a set of butt rib to door closeouts that fit on the outside that I have used twice. I doubt they are currently available - picture.
    Lowell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lowell,
    What is the black material made out of?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve,
    I am not sure, but it is the material that is used for heat formed panels like those around the windows on commercial jetliners. I think the man that made them was in that business. The panels were very nicely shaped with a curved edge that wrapped around the above door tubing. It was trimmed to fit and glued to the tubing and the lower butt rib cap strip. I left it black because my interior tubing is painted black, but the material will accept paint.

One other thought on interior fabric. Several friends have used fabric with some added tubing to form the outside of the baggage area. It looks great and is strong. I chose not to do it that way because it pretty much permanently closes off that area of the airplane. I feel a bit more comfortable being able to see as much as I can during the annual inspection.
    Lowell

The material is thermoformed ABS. Murle williams had the idea
    20 years ago, I built the mold and there are a lot of them in use.
    Sure simplifies the closeout one the model 4.

Phil

Are these parts still available and if so, what is the cost?
    Last edited by mr bill; 01-04-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: left out words