Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: more fuel

Default more fuel

I am buying a KF2 with 6 gal wing tanks. How hard is it to add the 13.5 gal tanks? Do I have to remove the 6 gal?

Default Re: more fuel

You have to remove the 6 gallon tank in order to have space for the 13 gallon type. And get rid of rib #2, as well. I guess it is do-able, but it takes some time to get it richt.
    You did not mention the other wing, but is it possible for you to add a tank there? (6 or 13)

Aside from opening and recovering the wing, there are some internal consideratrions. I am not qualified to explain what must be done but I am attaching original drawings from an early Model IV construction manual that will show the internal drag anti drag tube configuration for the various wing tank and wing locker configurations. The drag anti drag tubes are what keep the wing square. As you will see, to insert the larger wing tank, it would at least require cutting the inboard tube at the #3 rib. I don't know if moving the tubes to correspond to the large tank drawing would be necessary. I do know that retro-fitting wing tanks have been done, but know nothing about the conversion process. Hopefully others might chime in here.
    Lowell
    Attached Files Attached Files

check my albums , there are some pictures of when i replaced my 6 gal tanks . a rib has to be removed and the drag tube relocated . the drag tube is shortened and moved a bay outboard , the fitting that attaches the drag tube to the spar is the incorrect angle for the shortened tube . a attach fitting will need to be made up or possibly acquired from kitfox .
    it is a pretty good size job to replace the tank but well worth it to have the increased fuel capacity . any questions feel free to ask , id be happy to help . i did learn a few things doing the first tank that made the second one easier .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa