Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Comm Antenna's and ground planes

Default Comm Antenna's and ground planes

Just checking to see how folks have been installing their comm antennas. With or without a ground plane. There is the nice mounting location just behind the baggage area, but no ground plane. Ground planes aren't an issue with aluminum aircraft, but fabric ones require one for the antenna to have good reception and transmission. Of course you can buy an antenna that does not require a ground plane, but I already have a standard issue antenna. Thanks guys.

Default Re: Comm Antenna's and ground planes

I used a pretty standard antenna and no ground plane at the location you describe, works fine for me.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hi Andy,

I placed an aluminum sheet under the skin - see attached photo - the green thing is the aluminum sheet with primer on it. I have no idea if this made a difference or not - the radio works fine with the Commant antennae on top over the GP - since I did not run it with and without - so no idea if it makes a difference but decided that it was easy to do before covering and impossible after covering.

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also didn't have a ground plane. I was often told that my transmission strength was the strongest in our flight group. Personally, I don't think they are needed in our Kitfoxes as long as the antenna is mounted to one of the welded in place hard points.

Lowell

I also just mounted my antenna. I mounted it to the bottom right location behind the passenger. Should I have mounted it to the top of the fuselage or will I be ok with it mounted on the bottom? Its a model 4.
    Thanks Cain

I added a ground plane to my prebuilt model 2. I just attached a 12"x12" steel plate to the bottom tubes behind the seat. It was attached with copper straps to the tube frame and seem to work good with the bottom mounted antenna.
    Roger