Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your panel

Default Re: Show us your panel

My Dynon Skyview and Garmin SL40 wiring. The last photo shows my tilt-down panel that rotates down 90 degrees for servicing the backside. By leaving long enough service loops in the wiring it allows the panel (when bottom 4 screws are removed) to tilt down without disconnecting any wires. This system does not require removing the boot cowl to have full access to the instrument bay and its wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Wow, nice workmanship!
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Smart, very smart.
    Lou
    KitFox II

Just got money! Bought panels this weekend. Going to order wire harness and hub. Going to cover panel with leather black going all garmin

I like the fold down panel feature, very clean work we can all learn from

It is NOT wired yet... starting this week on that task!

After having been in the techy world my whole career, I have no desire to go to the glass cockpit route... I want the old steam stuff, a scarf, and a leather helmet!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

To each his own, regarding glass vs. steam gauges, but I venture to say that you will be carrying some sort of portable GPS device. Why not build it into the panel so you won't have to mount it on some sort of jury rigged mount or on your lap?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim,
    Excellent point...but.... I am now entering "retirement flying".... no more Army helicopter gunships, IFR Cessnas, etc...

Yes, I even sold my full IFR Cessna 172 after many years of faithfull flying. She is now in the skies over South Africa of all places. I sold her because I am seriously bored with the gizmos, and wish to fondly return to the flying I did as a young man in Alaska. 99% of all my Cessna flying right before I sold her was VFR, local out to 150 miles... I can find my way there and home by sight... it is easy when ya live in the southwest end of the huge Sacramento Valley!

The Kitfox to me is a return to the Taylorcraft and Cubs, small, slow, and just plain fun to do. I no longer have to be anywhere fast... and looking and experiencing is the pleasant thrill not the high tech gizmos.

I do hope to tag along with Lowell on some adventures, and I will then hang a suction cup mini iPad with Foreflight in it on the panel (hence to open right side) but will still be looking at a paper Sectional... I am still looking for the scarf and leather helmet!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

I hear you GW and it sounds like you will have an iPad if you need it. I was on one of those local VFR navigate by sight flights earlier this spring and I stayed out just a little too late. The temp/dew point spread was close all day but as I headed home the fog just started to form and as I approached my home airport I suddenly couldn't recognize anything on the ground. I used my GPS and got right on top of my home field and then I could see it looking straight down, landed OK. Sure was glad for a little technology that time.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I was too embarrassed to post a panel picture until now. This thread started over 4 years ago so I looked back through this entire thread just to make sure I hadn't. It is interesting to see the panels getting more and more high tech ans the time goes on.

Here's the other end of the spectrum. "Hands off" during one of my first phase one flights. Note the speed. later I installed wing strut fairing and now its 85mph.
    Last edited by t j; 11-20-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder