Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 Year Old Kitfox IV Owner

Talking 15 Year Old Kitfox IV Owner

Hello,
    My name is Tucker and I will be turning 15 in the beginning of April. Although I am new to this forum, aviation has always been in my blood. I have been flying model planes for almost four years now and it is one of my many passions. I started out with one RC plane and now I have over twenty. They range from a micro plane that I can fly in my house, to a quarter scale Extra 300 that is more aerobatic than the real thing. I fly my model planes almost every weekend and I enjoy every minute of it.
    I guess I can say that I got my love of flight from my grandpa. He flew a Cub and a Stearman and also crewed on a B-17 when he was younger, but no longer flies. Over a year ago, he found a good deal on a Kitfox IV (not yet built) and bought it for me. Since then, we have not touched it.
    About two months ago, I started ground school at a local airport. I enjoyed every minute of the class and learned a lot. I ended up getting the highest score on the practice test in my entire class. Now, I am starting flight lessons. I went for my first real lesson about two weeks ago in a Cessna 152. The instructor said that I seemed very comfortable in the plane and it will not take long for me to progress through the training. I plan on soloing right when I turn 16, so we are doing one lesson a month and then we will do many more in the month before I turn 16.
    The reason why I am writing here is because I would really like to get more information on building my Kitfox. Would it be possible for me and my dad or grandpa to put this aircraft together? I'm not sure how big of a project this really is. I have experience in building the model planes, but I'm sure that wont fully apply to building something like this. Also, how much would we expect to spend on building this plane? I know that it will really depend on the engine and equipment choices but I am interested in knowing a relative price range.

Thanks a lot,
    Tucker

Default Re: 15 Year Old Kitfox IV Owner

Welcome Tucker, let me start by saying your a pretty lucky young man!
    As for building the plane you certainly can though it is a big project. I am building my plane with the help of my 16 year old son. The project will take hundreds of hours generally over a couple of years. If you search this site I think there have been threads on how long it took folks to build their planes. Ours will have taken a little over two years and we bought it ~1/3 done. BTW covering the plane is a lot like covering a large model plane, good fun. I think an engine will cost you 5-25k$ ($5k would be quite a bargain) add another few thousand for a basic panel and a few more for stuff you haven't thought of yet. This of course depends on how complete your kit is to begin with.
    Get started you won't regret it, it is a great project to do with your dad and grandpa.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I second the welcome and good for you kitfox kid ~!!
    starting young is the best ,..I'm sure your interest in flight will grow as you do especially once you start flying that model 4 ,..can you tell us if it is a speedster or a model 4 1200 or model 4 1050?
    if your not sure ,..I'm trying to remember the serial number sequencing for the 1200 and 1050 .. I think it's 1723 and up is a 1200 and 1722 and down is a 1050.

good luck with your build and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 03-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks for all the replies!
    SkyPirate, I am not really sure what model 4 I have. The plane is at my grandpa's house so I will check next time I am over there. I kind of remember it saying SkyStar on the side of the crate but I dont know about a serial number. There is no firewall forward package in the kit to my knowledge.
    I am also in the process of joining the EAA. I went to a meeting at one of the local chapters, so I have to go to one more to join. I am really hoping that I can get some kind of start to this plane over the summer.

Thanks again,
    Tucker

Thumbs up Re: 15 Year Old Kitfox IV Owner

Tucker-- Welcome. I, too, got into aviation via a ground school when I was 15. I went on to solo on my 16th birthday and private license when I turned 17. So, don't give up and you'll get there.

As others have said, the key to building is to do something every day on the kit (even something very small) and keep to a schedule. Self discipline and tenacity are key to completing a project of this size.

It will be a great experience to do this with your grandfather and father! Enjoy it!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Way to go Tucker,Sounds like you are well on your way to being a pilot.I to started from RC planes and still enjoy flying them.When it comes time for your engine choice you will probably be overwhelmed by the many different choices and options.If money is not an issue then the 912 Rotax would be an excellent choice for you.But if you are trying to keep everything affordable then you might consider a 582 Rotax.There are tons of Kitfox 4,s out there with 582,s on them.There are also guys that started with the 582 and upgraded later on to a 912.You will be able to do lots of building before having to make a decision on the engine.If you decide that you are going with a 582 then let me know as I have a new style mount for a Kitfox 4 that I would donate to your cause. You would only have to pay the freight.Good job young man.
    Randy

Hey Tucker, I'm 19 and have had my license since I was 18. It's a great accomplishment. I am helping my dad build a Model IV 1050 right now. We plan on having around $21,000 in it and that's including paying $6,000 for the kit. We are planning on finding a used 912 or 912s to keep the costs down. the Kitfox IV is a great little airplane, we have had two of them, two Model 1s, and a Rans S-7S this new IV is going to be our keeper. I used to fly RCs but ever since I got my license I haven't touched one. Its just too much fun to jump in the S-7 go up for an hour or two. Good luck on the license.

Ty

Thanks for the tips Av8r3400. I really look forward to building this plane and hopefully I can make it happen. I also really liked your youtube videos. If you would like to see my youtube page, click here.
    Randy, thank you so much for your generous offer! As you said, I have a lot of building ahead before I have to decide what engine I will use. I will be sure to keep you guys updated on when I start and how everything is going.

Thanks again,
    Tucker

Ty,
    Thanks for the reply. It's my goal to be able to do what you do. It would be so neat to just jump in the Kitfox on a nice day and go up for a ride.

Tucker

Tucker, Welcome to TeamKitfox.com. It's great to see your generation enthusiastic about aviation. You and Ty are the future of this nation and of general aviation. It's been a real pleasure to see Ty grow up loving flight as much as his dad does. Can't think of a better legacy to hand down to your son or daughter than flight. Ty's been attending our little get together since it's inception and we hope he continues until he's sick of hanging around us old guys. He's developing skills that will serve him well in the years to come.
    Keep after your passion Tucker. Your grandfather has given you a precious gift and hopefully one day soon you'll be able to repay him by taking him up for a flight.

Join EAA and the local EAA chapter. Soak up everything you can. You might end up president of your local chapter down the road. Good luck on the Kitfox build. You can do it.

Enjoy every flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear