Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: securing wings for travel

Default securing wings for travel

anyone out there have a set of the wing clips for securing the folded wings to the empennage at the tail section for travel and or a tow bar for towing from the tail to a trailer hitch?

Default Re: securing wings for travel

Strap your flapperons together with bungees so that your flappers are pointing down, get some moving blankets and put them on the tail where the wings will hit when folded back, then take a ratchet strap and pull your wings together at the strut attach points each wing. Don't forget that you NEED the wing supports at the front. I made some out of 1/2 steel pipe
    Last edited by Esser; 12-13-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

You can make some tubes with some 1/2" conduit and a drill fairly easy. I would never trust them by themselves though. I always tie the flaperons together as well. The first Kitfox 3 project I bought had one wing come loose and swing out into a road sign. That was before I got it. I've heard of several others doing that as well. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Strap your flapperons together with bungees so that your flappers are pointing down,...
    Thanks for the tips!!!

Purchase the transport kit from the factory. I have trailered to/from the airport for 5 years with no problems. I did add a foam covered batten for the elevator as it tends to move up/down when big trucks go by.

don't forget to get gas out of tanks full tanks will leak

I store my kitfox with the wings folded year round (model 4). I use two old T shirts to protect the tail from the trailing edge of the flaperons and a bungee cord around the two counter balances on the other side of the tail. For when I traveled I used that green cellophane springy wrap stuff for packaging around the wing in the back. Held very well. Also if you're not moving 1/2full on the tanks is fine but 100% empty for travel.

I don't use wing braces as I've hear with teh 4 it's not needed. 5+'s may be a good idea.

You didn't mention it in your first post/question, but I'll bring it back up here. Make sure to use some gust locks on the elevator and rudder to keep them from flopping around, especially if you are pulling backwards. 1" x 4" boards with foam on them works good. When a big truck goes by you, it really rocks your world. I've sold a couple of elevators to guys that didn't have gust locks in place and trailered their planes. I've towed 6 of these planes over 3000 miles without any damage to any of them. JImChuk

I've been fine with 2/3 tanks. But my wings are level down the road. I let the elevator push UP against the flaperons.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    You didn't mention it in your first post/question, but I'll bring it back up here. Make sure to use some gust locks on the elevator and rudder to keep them from flopping around, especially if you are pulling backwards. 1" x 4" boards with foam on them works good. When a big truck goes by you, it really rocks your world. I've sold a couple of elevators to guys that didn't have gust locks in place and trailered their planes. I've towed 6 of these planes over 3000 miles without any damage to any of them. JImChuk
    Thanx for the info