Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Extended Baggage sack installation

Default Extended Baggage sack installation

Does anyone have instructions or photos of the old extended sack installation? I've found lots of information but not this particular detail on the forum.... Specifically the web strapping bulkhead which clips in the rear of the main sack area? I understand the side clips are attached to the tubing structure, but there and adjustable loops on the top and bottom with slip tabs and I just don't see where they should be attached or what the intent of the adjust-ability is.

Also, I nearly have the floorboard for the sack area ready for installation and believe the correct installation would be for the boards to be installed under the sack and the attach screws installed through holes in the sack?

My aircraft is one of the 7A models with the side door in the fuselage.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have...

Default Re: Extended Baggage sack installation

Tom,

I think you can install the floor in two ways: one is with the floor board in first and the sack on top (which is how I did mine); or with the sack in first and then the floor boards on top of the sack (which is how a pilot friend of mine did his.

Here are some pics of the web strap connection and the floor board installed inside the sack. As you can see there were "D" rings placed in startegic locations on the floor boards as well as the upper tubing structure near the back opening of the turtle deck.

I installed an aluminum honeycomb floor in mine and that was installed in first then the sack went in over it. I then install the baggage sack and tie it down to the floor with larger fender washers in multiple locations around the sack to keep it secured and from shifting. "D" rings on the floor boards protrude through the sack in slots that I had sewn in place to keep the sack from showing loose threads from the cutting of the slot.

I installed mine in this manner because you don't have to go through so many contortions to try and install the sack first and then line up the hole in the floor and get your hand under the sack and the tubing assembly to get a bolt and nut lined up, started and then tightend. SOme places it is almost impossible to reach your arm in there to line up bolts snf tighten nuts. Then when you do your annual you have to remove all that stuff by going through all the contortions to get the bolts and nuts out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Re: Extended Baggage sack installation

War Eagle
    Thanks so much for the photos, that really helped clear this issue up.

I decided to install the floorboards underneath the sack and will be using nutserts to address the challenges of getting to the backside of the screws.

Thought you might be my best hope on this and really appreciate the assist!
    I'm looking forward to doing some mountain flying in Idaho when I get the project completed.

Nice install job, did you sew the straps yourself?

Regards,
    Jeff Hays

Jeff,
    My straps were presewn and included as part of the baggage sack.

The photos are of War Eagles install. And the straps look to be the same.

Thanks!