Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder Cable Swaging

Default Rudder Cable Swaging

I'm preparing to swag the rudder cables at the rudder horn.

I don't know if these forward assemblies were factory or builder manufactured because my kit was a quick build 7A, purchased from the builder's family.

In checking the installation I have found that the co-pilots cables are slightly loose when tension is applied to remove the slack on the pilot cables. The copilot cables seem to be fairly even but about 1/4" inch longer than the pilot side.

My question: Is this normal? I would have said no until I found them to be nearly balanced.

Seems this would create a situation of the copilot pedals being a little closer to the firewall. I don't see any other downside to the current situation....

If the splices need to be redone, do I need new cables or can I just remove the swages at the splice and reapply?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Default Re: Rudder Cable Swaging

Hi Tom,

The cable fabrication/assembly is done by the builder, not the factory.

A 1/4" difference between the port and starboard side isn't a problem unless the situation results in the Co-pilot's pedals hitting the firewall; or, if brake cylinders are installed on the co-pilot's side, the brake cylinders or line fittings hit the firewall....otherwise I don't see the 1/4" to be a problem.

The idea is that the rudder stops on the tail should limit travel of the pedals....not the firewall...if you are clear of the firewall with full pedal travel on both sides I'd say you are fine.

I would be very reluctant to try to cut the swages off the cable and re-use it. The possibility of damaging a cable strand is pretty high. If I really, really had to re-do it, I would get new cables. Reswaging on the same or nearly the same spot on a cable could also result in fatigue damage to the cable strands. Swaging on a cable is pretty much a one time shot.

Since you are now doing the cables at the rudder - should be pretty easy to get the total length right for the most restrictive side (co-pilots).

If you do end up with too much travel by a very small amount resulting in firewall contact at the pedal after the rudder end is swaged - the simplest/cheapest way to solve it would be to make new/shorter rudder cable links back by the rudder to shorten up the total length of rudder cable.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN
    Last edited by Dave S; 01-04-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Or cut the cables and insert turnbuckles. That would also allow adjustments.

Dave S and Mr. Bill
    Thanks again to the forum for being such a great resource for information and feed back!

After close inspection the difference from pilot to copilot is half an inch... I'm considering replacement to even this up but haven't decided if it's really an issue.

Thanks again.