Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How much paint/material need for vixen

Default How much paint/material need for vixen

I am using the steward system, does anyone know how much of each material required? Glue,uv,primer , top coat( I plan on blue on top half and possible white on bottom) does anyone know the colors on KFC website of the plane sitting inform of their shop? Thanks

Default Re: How much paint/material need for vixen

It's "Stewart System". Should be able to do a search and find lots of posts.

I have a model IV, but the quantities should be pretty close.

A little under 1 gallon of glue

A little under 2 gallons of ekofill - for complete UV protection coats

A little under 2 gallons of paint(total different colors added together) - For full red on both wings and top of fuse I used 1 and 1/4 gallon of red. I used 1/2 gallon of white because of some screw ups and a quart of black for striping. Pics in my profile.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 12-29-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks, I am ordering materials tomorrow

Oops, forgot one thing. I had to use a layer of white ekofill under my red which ended up being about 1 gallon. The brighter topcoat colors(but not white) need the white underneath or they'll be dull and grayish.

I would not order top coat colors until you're ready to paint. They have a limited shelf life of 6 months to 1 year. I first ordered just glue and the gray ekofill so you can get everything started. Then when you know you are ready to paint get the white ekofill(if needed, the dealer can tell you which paints need it) and top coat colors. And get a small scale to do the top coat color mixing by weight.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 12-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Did you use same paint on fiberglass, if so, did colors match covering? Did you paint the laxan edges to hide frame on door/turtledeck?

On fiberglass cowling - primed white and same Stewart red paint as the fabric which matched good, but black and white are actually just rattle can since I didn't feel like paying for more paint for such a small area. Stewart insignia white was impossible to match to what I could find in a can, but one day I may get the Stewart paint and fix it... or maybe not... Close enough.

My turtle deck is aluminum and was primed in white and sprayed with same Stewart red. Matched good as well.

Around door frames on the lexan I scuffed up a border and painted with red rattle can paint for a base and then sprayed over that with the Stewart red so the color would match.

You can use the Stewart paint pretty much over everything. Just have to use the right primer.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 12-29-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Great info, I know in the past project , I used auto rattle an primers, but was not sure with stewards system. I will used auto on aluminum before paint. I always end up with a different color(look) on fiberglass than fabric , although I use the same paint