Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tail ski

Default Tail ski

I have been flying my Kitfox IV on skis for a few years now but have never had a tail ski. I have made one up and it is ready to install. What I am not sure of is, Should the wheel ski be rigged in a way that it can free caster and turn or can it be mounted locking the ski and wheel in a straight line. Comments and pictures would help me out. Thanks.

Pieter
    Pieter
    Kitox IV 1050
    582 70" IVO IFA

Default Re: Tail ski

Pieter, I think you will find the tailski to be a great addition. I flew with my tailwheel installed my first year of ski flying , but once I made up the tailski and started using it , I will never be without it. My maneuverability increased dramatically , and in deep powder the empennage floats on top instead of digging in. I simply attach it over the existing tailwheel and leave the turning ability enabled which allows nice tight tuns in the snow. I am including some photos from my ski installation folder - hope they help, have fun Bruce N199CL
    Attached Images Attached Images

My tailski also pivots just like the wheel did, don't notice it unlocking, but it certainly helps to keep the tail from digging in as was mentioned. When I put the ski on, I remove just the wheel and use the rest of the Maule setup. I pull a drag up and down my strip with a snowmobile to keep the snow level and get rid of the ruts, and a wheel does leave a deep rut that the tailski doesn't. Used that tailwheel 10 times in the last 3 days and hopefully it will get more use tomorrow. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Last edited by avidflyer; 12-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.

This is my tail ski. It's an Airdale design. It allows for steering and even castering. This design is available for Maul and Matco design wheels.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos