Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fabric Covering

Default Fabric Covering

My KFSS door chanels are a U-Channel shaped piece of aluminum similar to my crude drawing below. I wonder how far up and over the piece of material I should glue the fabric down.

I emailed the McBeans but they seem to be on Christmas Break and I want to get this done this weekend if possible.

Thanks for any replies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: Fabric Covering

Tom,

You want to run the fabric all the way over the square steel tube to the inside of the cockpit.

Remember that the door frame angle is bonded to the steel aquare tube. A person can better secure and protect the joint between the steel frame and aluminum angle by running the fabric all the way over to the inside. If the aluminum happens to get delaminated from the steel at the bond after the airplane is finished.....it would be a bearcat to fix. Things can get caught on the edge when entering and exiting the plane and looping the fabric all the way over makes a more secure assembly.

Forming the fabric isn't a problem. The point of the Iron can be used to make the fabric conform to the angle.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Tom,
    On a similar subject, pay close attention to how the fabric on the top of the fuselage attaches behind the turtle deck (the writeup and illustrations in that part of the manual are easy to follow).

Or, if you're hurrying and you do it wrong, then later on the fabric will begin to pull away when you're heat shrinking it- at which point, all of the possible choices involve more work. Not that I would know anything about that

Thanks guys, that clears that up. Will pay attention to the fabric on top too.

I may have to rework my door frame. It was tight before I put on the door channel... doubt it's going to fit now.

Thanks again.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama