Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Experimentals

Default Re: Used Experimentals

But ...

To become and ELSA Repairman is the 16 hour (?) course and rating/license, right?

Next question: If the A/C is registered prior to the LSA rules, is it an ELSA or just an eligible-for-LS Experimental? In other words, did all 1320# and under experimental A/C automatically fall under these ELSA rules, even if they were built/registered years prior to LSA?

Smile Re: Used Experimentals

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Maybe my understanding is too simple, I still cant find reference in my FAR/AIM (and I hate reading legalese! ), but:

As the non-builder, owner of an experimental A/C you can do all maintenance, repairs and modifications that the builder could, but you are subject to an annual condition inspection by at least an A&P.

Is that correct?
    I always suggest building from new.. for a variety of reasons, but be careful of the statement "As the non-builder, owner of an experimental A/C you can do all maintenance, repairs and modifications that the builder could, but you are subject to an annual condition inspection by at least an A&P".

Simply put... a condition inspection for a EAB (Experimental Amatuer Built) can be accomplished by a FAA A&P or IA or the person who holds the Repairman Certificate (RC) for that aircraft by serial number. Can the new owner as a non-builder do maintenance, repairs and modifications ? According to the rule yes... but it will need to be signed off by A&P, IA or RC during the condition inspection. If that person does not want to sign off the condition inspection off because of a modification you made then you will need to fix the issue to the satisfaction of the inspector.

If you can find the time to build your own it is a satisfaction you'll never get over every time you fly... We also have Jump Start programs available to help get you further along the path of completion.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"