Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Question about lexan

Default Question about lexan

I am replacing the windshield on my model 4 and the local plastic supplier has .125 thickness and .062 thickness. My question is can I use the .062? I think the .062 would be easier to work with. And what should I use to cut the lexan with? Thanks Joe

Default Re: Question about lexan

Hi Joe.

Go to this site; Kitfox catalogue.
    Spend a bit more money and maybe a little more time replacing with a LP Aeroplastics Inc molded windshield.

I suffered a couple of cheap flat stock windshield and they kept cracking on the corner bend. You know' I was using the broken one as a pattern to cut the shape of the new.

These are so nice, you will not be sorry (in my humble opinion)

Very nice assortment of stuff in the Kitfox catalogue. You will find the windows on pages 48 and 49.
    Who knows, we may get a picture or pictures under the tree tomorrow of parts and accesories that Santa was too busy to get for us on time.

You will love the tinted windshield

Eric.

Default Re: Question about lexan

the .125 is to thick, will crack. THe .062 is to thin. See if the supplier will order you the .090 that's what you want. One trick I found is to get a nice heat gun, mine is the red one that gets real hot. When you stick the shield on you have a nice bend for the front. You make the bend and put things together, than at the corners, hit it with the heat gun until it raises up just a little, than stop. My advice is to play with some scrap first and get the feel for it. Once you do this, the stress is off and it will last a good long time.