Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from TN

Default Re: Hello from TN

Brad,
    My only experience with building was in the 80's I bought a Sonerai II kit. It was somewhat difficult trying to figure everything out with no internet, no builders close by, paying long distance charges when calling the factory etc. This time I was determined to make it easier on myself so I did talk to other builders of each plane I was interested in, and actually visited Tom Waid (tropicaltuba.com) to look at his build and ask questions. With the Kitfox being around since the early 80's it just seemed like there were a lot more builders around and they have all been eager to help if needed. Also all the bugs have been worked out where a newer design will likely have some areas that need improvements. I also was impressed with the factory support. For example just yesterday I emailed Debra McBean with a question about static ports. In less than 30 minutes she emailed back with an answer. The Kitfox also seemed to be the most versatile plane out there with the best performance figures as a bonus. As far as flying I have had the opportunity to fly the tail dragger and tri gear with the Rotax 912 and Jaburu 3300 and they just are very stable, forgiving, easy and fun to fly. For me the flaperons are no issue they are just a different feel. As others have said they make it where the plane is almost impossible to stall. I hope this helps and good luck with which ever plane you choose.

Brett
    mykitlog.com/bholland

Hello Brad,

You are getting great info here from builders who have jumped into the water with both feet. I also went through your situation several years ago. Both the Rans S7 and Kitfox Super 7 are good planes. I agree that the refinements are nicer in the Fox, hardware and fit and finish also. Saying this i must tell you I did but a Rans S7 kit mainly because I fly a lot by myself and I liked the tandem seating for visual. It is a nice plane, however, every year at Oshkosh I kept looking at the Kitfox and finally got some flight time with John and I was sold within 15min. The kitfox is a bit quicker in handling but not quirky, solid in all flight aspects. The ride was noticeably smoother than my Rans on the windy day we were flying. Just ask the Kitfox to do something and it responds. The creature comfort of the Fox I found to be nicer than the Rans. It was a cool day and the heater worked very very well, the doors on the Fox fit much nicer as they are inset into the frame.

So, yes I bought a kit and have been having a blast building. Kitfox instructions, build manual and support has been outstanding, I can not say that about others.

I did have an issue last year with a Young Eagle student and being behind me in the Rans S7 I had a struggle on my hands for awhile, if she was beside me I could have handled the situation much much better.

Both planes are the better choices on the market, find your mission, sit in them, fly them. I also agree this site is way,way,way better than the Yahoo Rans forum.
    I will be at Sun/Fun also, Wednesday-Friday.

The only downside to flaperons I have found is not as good steep descent rate as regular barn door flaps, but that one deficiency is easily overcome with the Kitfox ability to execute a very aggressive forward slip under full stable control with or without flap(erons) deployed.[/QUOTE]

I learned a technique from a CFI with a Husky and it works very well with my Model 4 which has the same wing as the models 5 thru 7. On descent I try to get my speed under 60 mph and keep back pressure to keep my speed constant. I can look out the sides and my wingtips should be about level with the horizon. I can maintain and adjust my speed and my rate of decent with more or less elevator. Dropping my nose will increase my speed and increase glide distance or I can add throttle if needed. I try to get down to around 50 mph on short final. I always trim (power trim on elevator) full nose up but I still have to keep a good bit of back pressure. I commonly see my rate of descent at around 500 feet per minute with this technique. I personally like this style better than slipping which can always be thrown in if there's the need. I've found this works best for me to control my speed and rate of descent. James Thomas

Good info here guys. Really appreciate your responses. I am looking forward to taking a more in-depth look at the Kitfox at SNF. Please keep it coming if there's more to add.

V/r,

Brad