Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 22 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

What a great re-purposing. Thanks for collecting those Eddie.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Here is a photo of my pitot & AOA tubing and nav/strobe wires exiting the rear spar (notice the split tubing for protection). Also note how they lead right into the fabric wrapper on the diagonal airframe tube. You will also note that I used high quality weatherproof connectors for the wiring at this point, in case I ever want to remove the wings. I have folded the wings back several times with this wiring and tubing routing and it works fine without pinching or damaging anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for that picture Jim. It certainly clears up the routing. My wing tip and magnetometer wires, as well as the Pitot and AOA tubes, are now led through the spar.

I've been slack lately but one of the big benefits of updating a build thread is other member's asking, "Why are you doing it that way?"
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Panel back from the powercoating shop. Spent some time playing with a Brother Label Maker using the default tape. When you're happy with the spacing, the label can be saved to a "file". The final labels will be on clear tape with white letters. Hopefully the tape edges won't be too obvious. I planned to print a continuous label outlined with a square frame. But the breakers hit a "label too long" limit. I may play with printing two framed breaker labels and trimming the overlapping verticals.

Going by the powercoat shop was a fun experience. The owner is an interesting guy who is more of an artist than a solid color production shop. Completed metal-flaked motorcycle frames and custom wheels litter the outside office. And he's in the process of building a new, larger furnace to handle a run of three slingshot dragster frames. I asked how the process worked and off we went on a tour of the shop complete with, "Here, try your hand at shooting some power on these small parts."

OSHA? We don't need no stinking OSHA. This is the Piney Woods of East Texas.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

[QUOTE=Cherrybark;68303] I planned to print a continuous label outlined with a square frame. But the breakers hit a "label too long" limit. I may play with printing two framed breaker labels and trimming the overlapping verticals./QUOTE]

That's exactly what I did Carl.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Carl, I have a proposition for ya. As you know, I had a terrible time getting white decals made. If you look back at my panel you will see the passenger warning decal which is made with silver foil. Im not sure how you would feel having silver letters and surrounds but if you would like to try it then send me some of those labels you made. Those would be simple for me to photo copy onto the dextrin paper and I believe I could get the silver labels made. You could try them and if you don't like it then you just remove them very easily. I would photo copy them multiple times and you would have more than one try at placing them if you want to try. Let me know
    Eddie

I appreciate your offer Eddie but didn't see it until spending a day labeling and filling the panel. If you don't mind sending one, I would like to see how your Passenger Warning decal looks. That's something a label maker can't do nicely.

This picture is fuzzy, taken with a cell phone in a fluorescent lit garage. But I'm pretty happy with how the white on clear tape labels came out. They are quick to make, and make again, and make again until you get the alignment right. Wiped the panel with alcohol before each label with there is still dust particles behind the tape. A couple of times my fingers weren't clean and the clear tape adhesive attracts perfect finger prints.

The rectangular hole will be filled with the COMM radio but, until the panel is in the cockpit, it hangs awkwardly. The empty area on the right gets a 9.7" iPad Pro on a RAM mount.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

When I get a chance to hit the post office I’ll send a decal and quick disconnects.
    A sticker of the warning might be more economical since you would have to buy the spray adhesive to apply the decal but Ill send it.
    Eddie

If you haven't printed it already I'll buy a sticker. Didn't think about adhesive and it's silly to buy it for one decal. Thanks though.
    Last edited by Cherrybark; 11-02-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Kitfox has a nice metal engraved passenger warning plate you can purchase; at least they used to. It goes on with a couple of small rivets-easy-peasy. Its the plate in the center of the glove box on the right-not a very good photo.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS