Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

I did my panel completely by hand also, Carl. Also used a fly-cutter for all the larger holes, of which I have many! As you have obviously discovered, or known, solid and secure clamping to your drill press table, as well as slow speed is critical to making clean, accurate holes with a fly-cutter. Good job.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'm following the idea of snaking the Pitot and AOA tubes between the fuel tank and the aft spar. Someone mentioned using a "compatible" adhesive. Any suggestions of a readily available product??

The Magnetometer wires will also run through this space, with the Landing and Strobe wires inside the spar. All of these wires are shielded but it won't hurt to have the metal of the spar helping prevent electrical noise from the Wig-Wag and Strobe pulses.

When running wires through the spar, is it advisable to slip them in something like the very lightweight irrigation tubing to protect against rivets? Or am I just looking for problems?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I ran my magnetometer wires through the wing spar along with my nav/strobes and wig-wag. With it being shielded it doesn't matter being near the other wires. I haven't had any problems with interference.

I put the wires in my spars inside the plastic split wire loom, which is lightweight, inexpensive and readily available at the big box hardware stores.

It looks like what you are doing for your AOA is fine. I ran mine out to the wingtip and down through the spar because my wing was already covered when I got the plane second hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I also used the split tubing inside the spar like Phil. I also ran my Pitot and AOA tubing inside the spar. I'm curious Carl, when you route your pitot/AOA tubing behind the fuel tank as you show, how do you treat the termination where it exits the wing root? It looks like you will end up with that tubing running out of the butt rib and down the inside of the structure. When you run it inside the rear spar it neatly exits the end of the spar and then can be run inside the fabric wrapper on the diagonal tubing, keeping it completely out of sight.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

"When you run it inside the rear spar it neatly exits the end of the spar and then can be run inside the fabric wrapper on the diagonal tubing, keeping it completely out of sight." - Jim

Thanks for that very important tip Jim. Honestly I haven't figured out how the various tubing and wires are going to lead from the wing into the fuselage. With your comment, I'll change and run both the magnetometer and tubing inside the rear spar. Any memories of just how much slack tubing and wire is needed to reach from the rear spar into the area behind the panel?
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Hey Carl, if your just looking to tack down that segment of pitot tubing thats in behind the tank, I just used the same product that was used to glue the tank in. I just placed about three or four beads of the stuff.
    Eddie

Carl,
    I bonded a few pieces of model airplane plywood I had on hand to span from the aft edge of the tank to the aft spar. This holds the tubing off of the fabric while still leaving it free to be pulled out if I ever needed to do that (or at least that was my thought process).
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Gary,

How will you run the tubing once it's inside the fuselage? I'm try to avoid going through the process of mounting the wing to see how the tubes and wing wires are routed.

Nice idea to have them removable.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl,
    I left about 3 foot of tubing extending from the root. My Dynon ADAHRS is mounted behind the baggage sack, and I have run the tubing from it forward to just behind the pilot seat. I plan to locate connectors behind the seat. Final details of exact location will be worked out after the wings go on at hangar.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Carl, go ahead and cut your pitot lines. I have already procured you some quick disconnects to attach. If you go to AS&S and search "Fuel line quick disconnect" you will find a white part that costs under $7. I have nearly the exact same device that is specifically used for air pressure lines that are used for tourniquets in the Operating Room. They can hold in excess of 450psi without bleeding down. This application has nearly no pressure at all so they will work beautifully. I have two for you. If anyone else would like some, they just go in the trash every day at work.
    Eddie