Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 582 consumption

Default Re: Rotax 582 consumption

What do you think of this plugs, I think it works to hot, their are more grey than brown but the bottom ring is dark too?

If it's possible, post a pic from your plugs...?

My engine runs well with good temps of water and balanced egt about 1100-1150 F , great fuel consumption and brown or light brown colored plugs, what will I more. Never touch a running system, I think during this conditions the engine could be geeting very old :-)
    Last edited by Olle1975; 03-10-2014 at 11:26 PM.

I think those plugs are glazed - very heavy deposits on the electrode which would be due to hard and fast acceleration on a regular basis.

Leave your tune as it is if you want, but by looking at your piston picture, you're likely going to end up doing that again sooner than you want to. Pistons should be relatively clean and rings should not need maintenance for at least several hundred hours (maybe). Carbon, if it flakes off into the combustion chamber is not generally a good thing.

My bikes are put up for the winter, I'm not planning on taking them out of storage, pulling the plugs and taking pictures of them at the moment.

I can tell you though, they are light tan (all the way including the ring base). The insulators are off white, kind of a cream or ivory color. No oil, no spots, no dark or black anywhere.

Yes, their were getting hot and there is a dark ring during lean mixture, too?

By rotax manual you have to clean the pistons and rings every 100hrs, it isn't abnormal to get dark pistons and rings. Next reason is the oil type, I think, if you use mineral oil you will getting more carbon than synthetic oil?!

Do you have bikes only or do you fly a 582 too?

Olaf,

First, I am going to retract my suggestion for possibly moving the needle clip - that will not correct a lean idle condition (that would be midrange).

2nd, I did not say those plugs were running lean - yes they were running hot, not allowing the deposits to fluff off as they would if proper running techniques were used. They were being run "hard" - meaning quick acceleration and/or running at wot to long. And yes they are rich at idle too.

3rd, you can be lean in one range and rich in another. There a 4 basic carburetor control circuits each controlling a different range (with overlap). 5 if you count the choke circuit. They are:

Pilot or idle circuit - closed through about 1/4 - controls idle
    Throttle valve or plate and its cutaway - 1/8 to 1/2 mostly 1/8 to 1/4 - low rpm operation
    Needle jet, jet needle and clip - 1/4 thru 3/4 - mid range
    Main jet - 3/4 thru wot - top end

Also effecting rich or lean is fuel quality, pressure and carb float position at all rpms.

So you can be rich in one area and lean in another.

On your final comment, Rotax recommends inspecting and ONLY cleaning carbon off IF the deposit is over .5mm - that does not mean you should expect or have carbon of any thickness. But IF you do - then clean it.
    Last edited by Danzer1; 03-11-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Danzer,

thanks for your technical statement!

What do you think about the oiltypes, do you prefer mineral or synthetic or full-synthetic 2 stroke oil?

Regards

Olaf

AMSOIL fully synthetic for all my engines. Dominator for 2 strokes.

I get 15l/hr at 56kts on my trike 582 blue head. That's totally aerodynamic
    Ly 'dirty'. Castrol TT on my engine and it runs beautifully and pulls like a train

I think you mean Castroll TTS, which is know called Castrol RS 2T?

Just some documentation on an old thread. Here's a pic of my grey head 582 plugs after 31 hours. I think they're looking pretty healthy.

Fuel: Premium unleaded 91 AKI no Ethanol
    Oil Injection: Amsoil full synthetic either Interceptor or HP Marine
    Mixture with HacMan system set EGT to 1150 F in cruise.
    No idea why some plugs are Cad plated and some are not. They're all out of the same box/ order.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I think, they looks pretty fine! How much fuel do you burns during travel?

Olaf