Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: runway length question

Default Re: runway length question

I flew off my strip which was 1500' long for years, and I had trees on the ends as well. Not100' tall though. I was able to lengthen it to 2000' a few years ago. We flew an Aeronca Chief out of the strip as well. A light earlier model Kitfox would be much easier to do it then a loaded up heavy engined later model of course. JImChuk

Now that I am in a nose dragger does that increase the landing distance ? The tail dragger only used 300 of 900'.

I don't think so, should be about the same.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

It seems like it drifts a 100 feet more to land more tail up?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    If that is the case you must be coming in too fast and aren't near the stall speed and AOA.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Yes it will continue to fly longer with the tail up. As you raise the nose the speed decays and the plane will settle to the runway. Paul talks about getting the nose up and the speed dropping in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRG0sOkGdkM

You probably do this as you flare, just try raising the nose a little sooner to bleed some speed.
    There are also some videos on the net that talk about flying to the runway with a positive wing angle to the horizon to shorten touchdown. Done under power some call it dragging it in. Sometimes experience is the best teacher so go out and play with different approaches and try some different techniques. Just remember to fly safe.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    The short answer is no.

The long answer is maybe. These are very high obstacles bordering a short runway. With time and practice can you do it? Yes. Do you want to?

This will require your A++ game every time. With that length runway and that height of trees, this will be a no-go around situation.

Look at this video. Link. This is my home-strip. It's 900' long. There are 50' trees on one end (500' away) and 25' trees on the other. This is landing over the tall trees.

Departure will be a non-event.

I think this post pretty much sums it up. It really comes down to the pilot and his/her experience level.

I built a 1,000 foot strip at my place with tal trees on each end. I had purchased a Champ (heavily modified) that had an O-235C2C on floats. I took the floats off and was flying it on wheel gear in and out of this strip. No problems what so ever, unless of course you want to ask about the braking power of the stock Champ brakes! LOL I'll just say that they are nearly worthless when the plane is on 26" or bigger tires.

Others that flew over said I was crazy landing there and the only ones that would attempt it were Super Cub types. It all came down to knowing m plane. I have since lengthened it to 1,800 feet but still have trees on each end. I plan on flying my 172 in and out of it.

I think after you get a lot of time in your plane, it might be do able. Just get to know the 'on the edge' speeds of your plane.

I think the comments here have been outstanding advice.

I have a 2450 ft grass strip with big 100 ft tall white pines on each end, so it officially has very large displaced thresholds of around 1400 ft. But a variety of planes like the Kitfox (Highlanders, Avid Flyer, etc) have gone in and out of there for years only using half of the 2450 ft. But lets face it, there is an extra level of assurance knowing you have an extra thousand plus feet in front of you if you need it.

Seeing that your strip wouldn't have that, I would at least initially count on having a very high pucker factor. To safely do 1300 ft I would highly recommend a lot of simulated short field approaches over an obstacle at a longer runway. Ideal would be if you can find a longer strip that has real tall trees and practice, practice, practice until you are confident you can get it down and stopped consistently in the space you will have available.

Oh, and there is a lot to be said for having the confidence needed to do it safely the first time. So do not attempt the short strip until you know you have the experience to consistently put it down safely in that distance.

And try to get as good as this guy with his Maule on YouTube from the video titled "Big Rocks And Long Props: Idaho Backcountry. http:// https://youtu.be/MQkdtHM-w7I

Last edited by av8rps; 08-27-2018 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    ...I have a 2450 ft grass strip with big 100 ft tall white pines on each end...

Yeah, but you gotta mow it once in a while!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos