Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pre built power pannels

Default Pre built power pannels

I found these prebuilt power panels for experimental aircraft on aircraft spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/expbus.php).
    I am curious if anyone has installed on of these power panel and what they think of it. I would also assume that buying this system is more expensive than if you bought all the components separate, from Stein Air for example, and wired it yourself. I am curious to know how much money is saved by doing the work yourself.
    Thanks, Tyler

Default Re: Pre built power pannels

Tyler,
    We used one of the power panels in our series 7. It may be more expensive but it was very easy to connect everything to it and easy to use after it was installed.
    Ken Robinson

Tyler
    I forgot to tell you that our panel picture is under completions on the Kitfox website.
    Ken Robinson

Very nice panel, Ken. Very nice.

link

Tyler,
    The EXP Bus is a good option for some situations/builders. If you are intimidated by wiring and just want a fast way to wire things up without having to undertand the underlying architecture logic then it should be considered. There are tradeoffs however...
    • Your ship's needs may not correspond to exact mix of switches and functions on the box, and it is not customizable.
    • If any one switch or component fails it cannot be replaced, the whole module must be sent in for repair or replacement as opposed to just identifying which switch or breaker is bad and replacing it.
    • It is more expensive than using the equivalent individual parts.
    Personally, I like wiring and thinking through the proper wiring strategy (schematic) for the job I'm doing. For me this is NOT a good option. Quite a few have been installed in RVs and in general they have provided good service: there have only been a few failures that I'm aware of.

FWIW,
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com