Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Installing water rudders for Full Lotus

Default Installing water rudders for Full Lotus

GM,

I just purchased a KF 2 that has Full Lotus floats. It came with a new set of water rudders that have never been installed. I contacted Full Lotus and was advised there are so many variations that they do not offer a full installation kit-rudders only.

Has anyone installed these? Any help, advice, pictures would be great!!

I have been flying the KF in Key West and have brought it home to TX to a much smaller lake that will require smaller turning ratios. I am hoping the rudders will be some what effective.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Installing water rudders for Full Lotus

Hey Joe,

My KF2 on Full Lotus turned on a dime with no water rudder. I bought the rudder kit but found no need to install it. Just slow taxi and a blast of air over the rudder worked great for me.

Been awhile but as I remember the only challenge was getting the plane to turn downwind / "quarter" downwind in slow taxi with a wind above 15 or 20 mph. The rudder would have helped there for sure, but under reasonable conditions it was manageable.

Of course I always had the trusty paddle for the real fancy manuevers

I'd say give it a try and practice your technique... might be able to go without.

Nice looking rig BTW!
    Last edited by Yamma-Fox; 06-21-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Default Re: Installing water rudders for Full Lotus

Joe
    I had water rudder on a larger plane and learned to use power and rudder backing with wind otherwise from behind. I suspect on lotus without a substantial keel you will find using the wind to move you backward can put you where you want to be. The airplane becomes a sailboat in strong wind.
    Bud
    IV Speedster
    912 UL
    IVO ground adjustable