Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 58 of 120 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Nice looking panel Eddie. Congrats on keeping all that smoke at bay too ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

OK. I didn't exactly get the harnesses in correctly nor did the harness shop get it done right either. As they request, I verified power and ground and hence everything on and no smoke.
    Anyhow, CAN BUS was the first problem. Now, Im still getting the Hardware Fault red light on both auto pilot servos. Garmin was having problems with this about the time I bought these but my serial numbers are just outside the numbers but it could still be that these are affected possibly. Will need to contact Garmin again.
    Spent hours trying to get a software update done. I had to have an 8GB SD card to do it. I had a 128GB and a 16GB that I bought specifically for the display and the radio. I mistook the note for meaning I couldn't use anything smaller than the 8GB. Nope, and I don't understand why even after Garmin support told me. Again, I could not have done it without Garmin support.

I spent so long bent over working on a stool to reach into the panel area while doing most of the fixing. Then leaning into the cockpit while trying to use the panel. I couldn't even stick it out today. Once I had gotten all my units to communicate except the fault, I called it a day. Many hours but at least I can say I have made progress this weekend again.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yay! Good news this morning. After a number of phone consultations with John M at KF and Mike Huff at Garmin I have resolved the problem with my GSA 28 auto pilot servos. REPLACEMENTS. You may not have taken me seriously when I previously reported that technology and I are like oil and water but here is just one more example. I bought these servos around 1.5 years ago and they have been idle the entire time. It was revealed that around that time Garmin was having some issues such that I was experiencing. John stated that he had had similar problems before but never both servos so we were both kinda skeptical that it was the servos. Anyhow, Garmin got me some replacements and I picked them up this morning at AS&S. Plugged in and Viola, all fixed. Slowly but surely I will be progressing through my 912iS harness connection to the Garmin panel. Before we know it I will be adding Gasoline!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That's really good news. Who would have thought that both servos would be bad.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I can't believe it. I could actually start this motor if I really wanted to. This weekend was somewhat productive. I acquired a stomach virus or something this past Wednesday and it has me still run down so work on the plane has been off and on. Anyhow, I have seemingly got all the electronics working. My ADSB in/out transponder has a bunch of configuring to do so I am not sure when that will be finished but it seems it needs to wait until at an airport where it can be done along side the magnetometer. Seems to me steam gauges would be much simpler. Hope the dividends prove worthwhile. Im sure they will. I put oil in the motor Friday and Coolant Sunday. My prop is on to accomplish turning the motor over to prime the oil system but I have to find the time to level the plane in order to set the pitch in the blades. That will force me to place the plane in the garage sideways, open up the wings and eat up one more parking spot so I will hold off until I have a full day to work so I can set the pitch, rig the flapperons and calibrate the magnetometer. I really need to figure out a good reliable means for using a floor jack to lift the thing so I can replace the tires and get the dollies out from under it. Having the wheel dollies has been great for making this thing accessible. If your working in tight quarters I highly recommend them so you can move it any way you like. Im currently in the middle of putting my final piece of fabric on the center console and I have installed the accordion sun shade over head. Sometimes I look at this project and think I am done except putting the horizontal Stab and elevator back on. I know I am near completion buy I still need to test the fuel system and do the W&B. Plenty to keep me busy. I also have waited too long since I last flew with Paul so I know I can't fly it for a bit until I figure out how I am going to get time at the controls again. Snow season approaching Boise as well. Sorry for the long post, maybe a bit long winded.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

[QUOTE=efwd;77952]I can't believe it. I could actually start this motor if I really wanted to..It was great to see your project this weekend Eddie! Got me motivated to get rolling! I hope your stomach virus clears up ASAP.

Get that bird in the air!

You’re doing good, Eddie! The accordian shade you mention - what one are you using? Also, do you have any pictures showing how you mounted it?

Keep up the good work!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Glad to have you Tamer. Hope everything works out with your plans.
    John, Im at work (see the time of this post) and after being awake 25 hours by the time I get off I will be looking for some pillow time. I will be able to advise on the shade 10/2/18 evening. A pic won't happen till later this week since it takes a bit of effort now days and after I sleep I head back to work for another 12 hour over night shift. If you PM me your cell number I can easily text it to you. The colors of this shade worked out perfectly for my interior, black housing and grey/silver fabric. I drilled two holes in the base of the mount and mounted it with two WDG clamps on the tube that runs fore and aft above the passengers head. Kinda wish it didn't obscure the fuel gauge a bit but I can still see more than half the tube, the bottom half. I pull it across the cabin ceiling instead of back to front. It could be done fore and aft but I preferred it right to left. I suspect I won't use it that much but when its needed it will be nice. I have to use a bit of velcro on the top glass just in front of the aft cross tube so it doesn't drape down under g forces. The front edge rests on the diagonal tubes and my interior light nobs I installed up top.
    I found the clear velcro squares that are like two male halves instead of the soft side and male side. Works pretty well and I don't see why it wouldn't in flight.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

John - my Kitfox uses a Koger Sunshade. I think lots of the RV guys use this style of shade.

I can measure it and take a few pics if you want - let me know.

It's a great sunshade and I'm sure glad I have it.

Regards
    Rodney

Rodney, I am also planning to install a Kroger sunshade. I would appreciate some pics of your installation and which part number you ordered. I see Aircraft Spruce sells them.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS