Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Looking good Brian. The camlocks that are attached at the foot wells were the ones I was concerned about. It seemed that they would be a problem but with the adjustable depth for the fastener everything worked out just fine. I didn't have to buy any addtl cam locks. I didn't do anything fancy when installing the camlocks along the flange either. I think the Flange is flexible enough that it just pulls everything together when securing the fastener.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Default Dangit.

The FFW manual says the straps to hang the radiator should b 9.5" long, to be trimmed to length later. In my case, 9.5 wasn't long enough. My first thought was "What could I have measured incorrectly?" I'm pretty sure everything is where it's supposed to be. The radiator is 3/16 off the floor of the cowl, and ends up located pretty well under those tabs. The straps just don't reach. I don't have enough material to make new ones, so I'll probably just rivet/hysol some small extensions.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I had the same issue; the material in the kit was not long enough to make two hangers of the necessary length. I think Kitfox sent me some more although my brain is being a bit fuzzy on that at this point.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Same with me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I lengthened the straps with the little bit of excess material I had, and got the radiator and oil cooler mounted up. I installed all the NACA ducts (main cooling intake, turbo air inlet, and cabin air). I elected to use marine fiberglass epoxy thickened with some cotton flox instead of Hysol, which I've heard doesn't bond as well to the fiberglass. I completely missed the mark with my first hack at the exhaust hole, so I did a fiberglass layup to return the excess material I took off. I still have a lot of finishing to do on the cowls, but they are coming together nicely.

I continued with engine electrical wiring. I put together my fuel pump manifold, and convinced myself it will fit on the firewall in the same place the 912iS fuel pump assembly sits. Installed the cooling ductwork. Installed the oil tank and thermostat. A common issue I've read is an inability to get the oil up to an ideal temp, so I used a 205 deg F thermostat instead of the 180 deg thermostat often sold for the Rotax.

At this point most of the engine install is complete. I have a few bits of plumbing left to install when I get some fittings, and some electrical left to do when I have my panel. It's coming together though, and I hope I can run the engine in not too many more weeks.

I've slacked off on taking a lot of pictures, so I don't have much to show progress.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Default Weekly update

I have the engine install complete except for the fuel pumps, and a fuel flow transducer.

I fabricated a stainless box to contain the fuel pumps on the engine side of the firewall. Rotax recommends not having them on the engine side, but this box should protect them from engine heat and possible fire, much like the pumps are on the 912iS.

Oh, and this came. I've got most of the aircraft wiring in. I still have to run wire for the control sticks, headset jacks, and ELT. Then I can start terminating and connecting wire behind the panel. The Quick Panel came out nice, and will save a little time.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Looking good Brian. Pluggin away I see.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Looks awesome Brian! We need high res pics of your panel.

Clark

Yep, flying by Christmas. Great progress Brian and nicely done.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Interesting that Rotax doesn't want the pumps on the firewall side. That's where I want high pressure fuel leaks!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3