Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Nose wheel fork cracks

Default Nose wheel fork cracks

Experienced some nose wheel shimmy the other day so I decided to pull the assembly apart to inspect bushings, shims, etc. and noticed cracks along the welds on the fork. Has anybody else experienced this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Nose wheel fork cracks

Brad,

There is a service bulletin on certain nose gear forks which was issued in 1994. I think this is related to the early vixens. Worth a check. You didn't mention the year and model of the aircraft so I don't know if this applies or not.

In the course of doing a tire change on our nosegear (Which is a late 2000 vintage), I went over the fork and associated parts thoroughly last year - didn't find any cracks.

Check service bulletin 37 on Kitfox's technical F.A.Q. section of their website.

A fix may be possible; but, if it's old, probably as well to buy a new fork and make sure it is solid.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Yes, It is a Vixen with an IO240. Finished in 1999. I bought it 3 months ago so still getting acquainted with what has and hasn't been done to it. According to the builder/previous owner, it was changed when he upgraded to larger wheel for the larger Sensenich prop clearance so not sure if the SB still applies to this upgraded fork.
    Guess I need to make a phone call tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

I would spring for new also.

Those brass bushings should be somewhat difficult to remove as they are usually a pretty snug fit.

Shimmy on the nose gear usually points to bellville washers not having enough pre-load. New washers would be a good preventative maintanance move also.

Call Kitfox Aircraft for all those items and advice on anything else to refresh at the same time up front. Better safe than lose a nose gear. Best of luck.

P.S. Good idea to dissasemble, clean and inspect that nose gear every conditional inspection. Also your axel and bearings in your nose wheel should be looked at annually.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yes, washers with no preload and doesn't look like they've been serviced in a LONGTIME!! Bushings loose on shaft, lower bushing loose in housing and shows sign of rotation in housing instead of shaft at times. A closer inspection shows some cracks on top side of fork as well. I'm a good welder but metal fatigue is my main concern. New will probably be the answer. Definitely be one more thing on my preflight.

On a related Nose Wheel crack issue, on my 2003 Vixen with 912 ULS I found a crack at the joint of the nosewheel swivel shaft and the nosewheel strut. I showed it to a mechanic at the FBO and he suggested re-welding, so I had a local professional welding shop do a gussett.

See Pictures.

Skot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: Nose wheel fork

I know this is an old thread but is there a place to get information on how to service the nose wheel? Is there a company website?