Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop for 912 in KF IV?

Default Prop for 912 in KF IV?

It appears IVO 3 blade is used by some with 912. Is ground adjustable among those OK? I have the hub, just need 3 blades. My Rotax is an older model. Plan to run only after having it gone over by Phil Lockwood's folks. But, need the right prop for that.

Is it possible to identify engine manufacture date with serial no ??

Default Re: Prop for 912 in KF IV?

Hello Bud.

If you run the serial number through Rotax, they will give you all of the hem data on the motor. link

There are plenty of IVO props in front of 912 engines. They work well, given you have the right model to match your engine.

Is your engine a 100 or 80 hp model?

Which model hub do you have, ultralight or medium?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks, I will follow up with Rotax. My 912 is 80 hp. All I have left on my project is covering the fuselage and get everything painted. Bud

Hi Bud
    I have over 600 hours on a 3 blade 70" IVO IFA Ultralight prop. Runs smooth and allows the little 80 HP to achieve full RPM for take off. They are light and should be easy on the gear reduction.
    Hope this helps
    Don

I have a brand new 3 blade 72" IVO hanging on the wall for when ever I finish the Kitfox 4 with a 912. Not sure what to do with it now though. This summer I swapped back and forth between a Warp 2 blade 70" taper tip and two different IVO 3 blades. One was 64" and the other 68" The Warp outperformed both of those blades by a wide margin in both climb and cruise. This was on a Kitfox 1 with 582 and 2.58 ratio B gearbox. Now I'm not sure what prop to use for the 912. YMMV. JImChuk

Thanks for the responses. Very encouraging.
    I contacted IVO and I apparently have a medium blade ground adjustable hub. Sounds like my best move is to get 3 medium blades 70 inch length. May even consider shorter blade to allow higher static rpm with a strong pitch. Any thoughts or experiences with that ??
    Bud

I think your best option is really the ultralight (patriot version - higher pitch range version). The medium is getting up their as far as weight and blade thickness and is much better suited to the 100hp 912. A whole new ultralight prop setup is probably cheaper than buying just 3 medium blades. ONE blade is $300, but you can get a whole new ultralight quick adjust for $660.

If you stick with the medium blades you may want to experiment with 2 blades. Also, go with the longer option and test it out. You can cut it down to whatever diameter you like (to an extent) and IVO even has instructions for you to do it with a hacksaw.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 12-01-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Good information much appreciated. I have asked IVO for their recommendation. But your observation on weight and thickness is persuasive. Cost is a consideration but my experience with my earlier project convinced me to get it right FIRST. Will let you know what IVO tells me.
    By the way, this forum is a great experience for me. My last project was 5 yrs and 6000 hrs with no on-line experience to consult. Flew it 18 yrs but took first 5 to get the engine perfected.
    The kit fox will have to be my last entry in aviation. Hope to be flying before Sun n Fun in April.
    Bud

Bud-

I have about 1900 hours on an IVO IFA 70" three-blade ultralight prop on my Model IV with the 912 80 hp. I wouldn't have any other prop, as it adds ideal climb and cruise capabilities, much to my personal satisfaction. It allows great power and cruise speed control. Can't say enough good about it and the IVO factory. I carry a full duplicate prop hub, parts, and blades in the aircraft at all times, as the prop has been known to give a few problems and necessitate a parts change-out. I use the mylar prop leading edge tapes (as used by Warp Drive) as opposed to the stainless steel tapes provided by IVO. They don't crack nor cut one's fingers when cleaning.

Stan

Stan
    And others!!!
    IVO seems to support the ultralight. The three blade they weigh in at 8 lbs while the medium would be 11 plus. Many have supported that view which is convincing. Leaves me with an unused medium hub but KF owners seem to all have such a collection. I guess that confirms we are experimental.

I will soon be ordering the 3 blade ultralight quick (ground) adjustable to comply with the LSA rules although I have been a private ASELS pilot since 1959. Keep the aircraft L S A.
    Bud