Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I get stainless prop tape

Default Re: Where can I get stainless prop tape

On a recent trip a group of us ended up flying for around 3 hours in rain that was at times very heavy.An ivo with stainless tape needed the tape removed as it went lumpy and had splits in it,my ivo with clear tape is ok but appears to be lifting on the outer leading edge,the rest is perfect.A GSC without tape didn't get any damage,and a local prop without tape but an epoxy leading edge looks and feels like sandpaper on its edge. The GSC was a surprise!
    What thickness tape is the best?i see spruce lists two thicknesses,would the difference in thickness be noticeable in prop efficiency

Hi Dusty,
    What I have used is .008". It is possible to affect the efficiency, and the thinner the better from that standpoint. One guy I talked to claimed he lost a little static RPM after installation. I have carefully compared before/after operation and haven't seen any real difference in that respect. It has stopped a tremendous amount of damage to my leading edges over the years, based on the gouges & nicks it has sustained, with usually no underlying damage. A couple of tips on installation - Carefully measure and cut equal lengths for the blades before installation. Very slightly radius the cut corners. Fill any nicks & carefully clean & de-grease the prop surface. Use disposable rubber gloves to avoid any skin oil or other contaminants when handling the tape. Start at the tip, tape carefully centered, working towards the hub. If the leading edge has curvature, a slight amount of tension/stretching will make it conform perfectly to the surface. as you approach the last few inches, back off on the tension. You only need to apply the tape on the outer approximate 2/3's of the blade length. I've found 1" wide tape to be adequate for my propellers. As the tape takes the nicks and abuse over time and you want to replace it, I've found it relatively easy to slowly remove with a heat gun, without damaging the prop finish. I've honestly never had to replace it because it was starting to peel off or anything like that, but I've been very careful with cleanliness and installation. This has been my experience with the tape for approximately 25 years.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John I will order the .008 tomorrow.when I replace it I will try to do some static tests.mine is ok? But may be starting to move. I may have lost a little bit of performance,it may be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Did you attempt it with that specific plastic tape on you prop? I don't doubt your statement, but I have found the tape to be very good in rain...
    I used 3m body protection tape. Stuff is tough as hell, but water spray is tougher.

Fwiw, even seaplanes with metal props suffer from water erosion. You can pretty easily destroy a nice (and expensive) Hartzell blade in a short time by just plowing around in the water at mid rpm ranges. The erosion is so bad it can literally make pinholes in the leading edge of the blade. Many have tried leading edge plastic tape on those too, but much like my experience they learn the water spray through the prop will disintegrate the plastic.

Flying through rain is apparently a minor concern compared to seaplane water spray. But believe me, I would love to find a alternative to the stainless tape I have to keep replacing on my IVO. I love my IVO IFA, but I absolutely hate having to constantly replace the stainless tape due to cracking, lifting, etc.

However, if I weren't flying floats I would most definitely use the plastic tape.
    Last edited by av8rps; 10-20-2016 at 07:24 PM.

I was just looking on the IVO site tonight, and I see they have a riveted on stainless steel leading edge protection for their air boat propellers. You might give them a call and ask them about that for your prop. JimChuk

Thanks for that info. But I suspect the longer blade we use on aircraft allows the prop to flex too much to allow a rigid riveted on protection. But I'm gonna give them a call for sure!