Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KOTM for March 2010 Andy Karmy's Model 7.

Default KOTM for March 2010 Andy Karmy's Model 7.

Andy Karmy - akarmy
    Auburn, WA
    Kitfox 7 - Rotax 912ULS - IVO Medium

It all started back in the late 80's. I was young recently married and dreaming of flying. I wore out that original VHS tape of little colorful Kitfoxes flying up rivers, low over lakes, in snow with skis, down mountain canyon's over this amazing Idaho terrain. I was hooked on this little plane with the 2 stroke engine, however I had no money and it was just a dream. Years later I finally built my first plane, a TEAM MiniMax. It took 9 months and I enjoyed flying it for 2 years. Next up was a Vans RV9A, built from standard kits in 18 months and I enjoyed many years of flying high and fast across the country.

This last summer I decided it was time to make a change and get back to the basics of flying. With a chance to reduce my operating costs, get back into a tail dragger, and enjoy the backcountry strips that we have all over the NorthWest, I made the jump to a Kitfox 7. Now I was going to start a build of a new Super Sport, however other plans worked out. When I listed my RV9A, I found a willing buyer that had a nice Kitfox 7 and wanted to make a deal. Done, I had my Kitfox. 25 years later the dream was back.
    Andy 2.jpg

My Kitfox was built in Arkansas by David Klem, then Sold to Las Vegas to Dale Orth, then finally I picked it up and brought it back to Auburn Wa. Being the 3rd owner of a plane with just 100 hours on it, it was basically new. My first big adventure was the return trip from Vegas to Seattle. Taking just over 9 hours it was a long cross-country for sure. I loved every min of it. Flying low over the wide expanses of Nevada and Southern Oregon I saw things like I never had seen them before in my RV.

As the weeks went by, I stared putting the hours onto the plane. Our first camping trip was the Kitfox Factory flyin last fall. My son and I had a great time meeting some of you and giving rides. After putting about 30 hours on the plane, it was time to convert it over to a taildragger. This was how this plane was destined to be setup! 8.50x6's really made it nice hopping into small grass strips around the local area. Now I was really having some fun. Just playing with touch and go's with a taildragger opens up a new opportunity to try different things on each landing. 3 point, wheel landings, 1 wheel, 2, bounces, greasers, left wheel, then right, then left. Starting to really love this thing.
    Andy 1.jpg

With winter in full swing, December was time to put my stamp on this plane. Yes it was a flying Kitfox and really didn't have any problems, however I knew I could do better. I had to redo some things to my standards so I would feel good about it as the years go by. I pulled the cowl & started to work. I removed all the electrical & fuel systems, Panel, and misc parts. When it was done, I had basically a new plane again! Done right, done my way, whenever possible, brought up to Factory standards with new parts, rejigged to the construction manual, and just cleaned up and tightened up. Supporting all the wires and parts so nothing rubs, and its easy to get to and maintain over the years.
    Andy 3.jpg

Now I know every part of this plane, just like the other ones that I had built. Which is a good start as this plane has another unique trait. It was certified as an E-LSA back when the amnesty period was open. So lucky me, I can get and E-LSA repairman certificate and be able to do the annual inspections and other sign offs. So, what's next? Who knows, It's going to be a fun summer this year of adventures and experiences yet to be uncovered. We have a Young Eagles day in the spring, and I can't wait to give some kids a ride they will remember for a long time to come.

So, thanks to all of you for the help and questions answered. Thanks to John and Debra for great factory support and a good parts supply chain. Here's hoping we meet up at a flying in the future! To those of you still building, you are going to love this plane! If you ever want a ride and are in the Seattle area, drop me a line, I'd be happy to!

Andy Karmy
    N35KF - Kitfox 7
    Auburn WA - S50andy's kitfox

Click on this link to see all of Andy's photo albums:http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?u=626

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: KOTM for March 2010 Andy Karmy's Model 7.

Great write up and photos Andy. Congrats on KOTM for March 2010. Great looking Kitfox. Enjoy every flight.
    See all of Andy's photo albums here:http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?u=626

Here are a couple more photos.
    Andy 5.jpg

Andy 6.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Congrats Andy, Great looking plane and inspiring write-up, just what I need as I head down the final stretch. Hope I get to see it in person someday.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

awesome Andy,..nice layout on the new panel too,.. I see you have the same problem as me though ..you fly the kitfox way to fast and your forhead is sliding back mine slide so far back I can't see it anymore ha ha

Chase

Fantastic airplane. Way to go. Just to let you know, the RV's can fly low and slow just like the kitfox. I do it all the time, the only thing I don't like is the wing is in the way for seeing down. The way I see it, if I want a LSA I pull the throttle back, way back. If I want to get there, I push the throttle forward. I burn the same if not less fuel in the RV when flying 110kts it's something like 4.5 gph.

You have something very special there, enjoy.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    Just to let you know, the RV's can fly low and slow
    Well, I know that well. I've been into my share of 1000ft grass strips with the 9A (with 2 people onboard), and we've talk about that being at the limits for some Kitfox pilots here on the board!

You are such a good salesman for both planes, and as we all know they both are great planes. Yes the RV can do everything...

but, I still am having a ton of fun with the Kitfox. Just Sunday I was roaring in and out of a small strip, using just 400ft of it. I also really love the downward visibility. That's something I really missed in the RV's. Oh well, glad we have both options out there for everyone to choose between!
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Andy ..a challenge for you ..beat my record of 75 foot of runway for a landing and don't bounce

(no i didnt land in the grass first then roll up onto the runway using 75 foot ha ha )

Chase

I already beat that, but than again, I had a nice head wind, I felt like I could reach down and pull some weads while I was landing.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Cool Re: KOTM for March 2010 Andy Karmy's Model 7.

Quote Originally Posted by akarmy View Post
    Well, I know that well. I've been into my share of 1000ft grass strips with the 9A (with 2 people onboard), and we've talk about that being at the limits for some Kitfox pilots here on the board!

You are such a good salesman for both planes, and as we all know they both are great planes. Yes the RV can do everything...

but, I still am having a ton of fun with the Kitfox. Just Sunday I was roaring in and out of a small strip, using just 400ft of it. I also really love the downward visibility. That's something I really missed in the RV's. Oh well, glad we have both options out there for everyone to choose between!
    I guess what I was getting at is the RV's can and will do the same low runs as the kitfox, it's just most Rv'rs don't like flying under 10000msl. Me and my airplanes all get nose bleeds at that altitude or attitude.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    Andy ..a challenge for you ..beat my record of 75 foot of runway for a landing and don't bounce

(no i didnt land in the grass first then roll up onto the runway using 75 foot ha ha )

Chase
    Oh my, I'll have to work on that a bit. Might need to slow down a bit more... also not sure if a Series 7 can do quite the same things as the earlier models! (at least that's going to be my excuse).

I see a landing contest, with flour bombing and TP shredding in the future over at Steve's place this summer!
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com