Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Remote oil thermostat

Default Re: Remote oil thermostat

They have a hose that hooks up to the return line side of the tank. You put the return line hose in a bucket, hook the hose up to a compressor, pinch off the overflow vent hose, and turn the prop like your trying to burp the system. Once you start seeing oil pumped into the bucket your done. Remove the hose, replace the return oil line to the oil tank, and your system is purged. I have a hose sitting on the shelf I could loan you.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

John, I didn't prefill the oil cooler (I don't think most people do) although that certainly wouldn't hurt. As has been said before on this forum, the oil thermostat never completely blocks the oil path thru the cooler. So as you purge the system per instructions a small amount of oil is passing thru the cooler and will fill it up. To make sure, I prolonged my purge for a longer time than called for. After the purge was done and I fired it up, oil pressure came up immediately. I watched to see if it would drop off, indicating a big air bubble going thru, but it stayed steady the whole time. I did have to do a couple of extra runs before one of the lifters felt solid; didn't re-purge, just ran the engine for a while and then checked the lifter again.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    They have a hose that hooks up to the return line side of the tank. You put the return line hose in a bucket, hook the hose up to a compressor, pinch off the overflow vent hose, and turn the prop like your trying to burp the system. Once you start seeing oil pumped into the bucket your done. Remove the hose, replace the return oil line to the oil tank, and your system is purged. I have a hose sitting on the shelf I could loan you.
    Thanks Paul... I understand all that, and I do also have a hose & pressure regulator/gauge assembly to do the purge. My concern is that during that purging operation the thermostatic valve will be bypassing the oil flow so that it isn't going into and through the cooler coil. This seems like it could be a problem, when the oil warms up and the valve re-directs oil through the cooler. It seems like there would be a big bunch of air pushed out of the cooler and going right to the oil pump inlet. If this has been a non-issue for others I'll be happy.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    John, I didn't prefill the oil cooler (I don't think most people do) although that certainly wouldn't hurt. As has been said before on this forum, the oil thermostat never completely blocks the oil path thru the cooler. So as you purge the system per instructions a small amount of oil is passing thru the cooler and will fill it up. To make sure, I prolonged my purge for a longer time than called for. After the purge was done and I fired it up, oil pressure came up immediately. I watched to see if it would drop off, indicating a big air bubble going thru, but it stayed steady the whole time. I did have to do a couple of extra runs before one of the lifters felt solid; didn't re-purge, just ran the engine for a while and then checked the lifter again.
    I didn't see this, Jim, before I posted the last reply... thank you. That's what I was hoping to hear.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime