Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

Default Re: Oratex Fabric Covering Revisited

As promised, here are some pictures of my initial foray into Oratex land. I haven't had much time to work on it, but I started with the rudder (which is now complete & ready for flight), and am now working on the elevator. I'm getting more comfortable with the process, & I like the look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Great pics. I am amazed at how well the painted parts match the material.

Please keep us posted on how the wings progress. Will you be doing any rib stitching?
    Last edited by LSaupe; 06-27-2014 at 06:57 PM.

I am looking at using this fabric as well. I am very curious as to whether you reinforced the trailing edge of the wing to ensure it does not warp. The instructions for Oratex say that it should not ruin structures like that but I wonder if I should just reinforce it anyway. I'm not to the point of loosing sleep over it, but give it another couple of months and I might be.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

I did reinforce the trailing edge with 3/8" Al tube. Oratex does shrink to the proper tautness, but it doesn't continue to tighten to the point of structural deformation, unless the structure is very thin or weak. You can apply heat right up to just below 482 deg. F., at which point it melts. I just felt good about strengthening the trailing edge.

Here are a few more picture of working on the rudder...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by LSaupe View Post
    Great pics. I am amazed at how well the painted parts match the material.

Please keep us posted on how the wings progress. Will you be doing any rib stitching?
    I will lace the wing ribs.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

John,

That looks very good! It appears in your photos that the Oratex fabric and tape has a much smoother weave than the others. Is that just my perception of the photos or is it smoother in your opinion also?

Keep up the fine work - you are inspiring!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    John,

... It appears in your photos that the Oratex fabric and tape has a much smoother weave than the others. Is that just my perception of the photos or is it smoother in your opinion also?...

Greg
    Hi Greg,

I'm not real sure about the weave comparison. Oratex definitely has a "texture" that you don't have with a conventionally covered/painted surface. It is a very fine weave, & visible on the finished surface. The 600 (the "light" material) is different than the 6000. It has an even finer weave. I chose to use 600 finish tapes (they are available made of 6000 material also). The 600 stretches & conforms around curves a little easier than the heavier stuff. You can also get pinked or straight edge. Because of the different texture, the lighter tapes have a little different look even though they are the same color - perhaps because of reflectivity. I'm sure you can see it in the pictures. I don't mind that.

Thank you for the kind words.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Hi John,

Your covering work really looks nice.....What type of paint do you use with this system?

Dave S

Hi Dave,

They say that just about any type paint works well & adheres well to Oratex fabric. Water-based, MEK-based, urethane, epoxy, regular enamel, etc. No roughing-up of the cloth is necessary or recommended. Just clean thoroughly to eliminate any contaminants, skin oil, etc. I used some PPG acrylic urethane that I had, added a little flattening agent to take away some of the gloss, & used that with a small brush to touch-up/seal some small areas transitioning between fabric & steel (e.g. - at control horns on the rudder). Oratex sells their own non-toxic paint (probably similar to Stewart System's paint, I would guess), but it is very expensive to ship from Germany. You can certainly paint the fabric, but that would seem a waste of both money & weight to me. You can use colored fabric, plastic decal trim material (Oratex sells a large variety), or you can paint trim stripes.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

After looking at the Web Site I can see why you went with it. Once it's covered your done, unless you want some graphics.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas