Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rudder pedal torque tubes breaking

Default Rudder pedal torque tubes breaking

Reminder to make sure the Modification has been done on the older rudder pedal torque tubes. Its a shame that a perfectly good airplane got trashed for a relatively minor modification.

So glad that no one was injured.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...ctual&IType=LA

Default Re: Rudder pedal torque tubes breaking

It wasn't trashed. I purchased it from the insurance company and repaired it. I am flying it again!!

Two questions. First will the new torque tube kit the 1994 IV aircraft? And is it really a cure to the problem?
    P/N?

Yes the new rudder pedals will fit the 1994 IV
    You have to call kitfox and they will make them for you.
    I just replaced the right pedal Assy. That is only one susceptible to breaking if you fly from the left seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Alley View Post
    Yes the new rudder pedals will fit the 1994 IV
    You have to call kitfox and they will make them for you.
    I just replaced the right pedal Assy. That is only one susceptible to breaking if you fly from the left seat.
    If I may be so bold, how much did it cost?
    Never mind, I just called, $185 per side. Youch! I may just do the one side too!
    Last edited by beeryboats; 09-21-2017 at 02:56 PM.

After more research I may try a weld repair instead of replace. What's funny is very few do the approved repair, sheet metal, glue, and rivets. Most go for gussets and welding. At least that's what I found on the forums. I like the idea. But how "legal" is a weld repair if the SB calls for rivets? Which goes back to a post I put out last night. If I've done a bunch of upgrades to an aircraft not touched in 20+ years, what log book entries are needed?

If you are talking about working on an experimental aircraft then there isn't a lot to be worried about on the legal side. For an E-AB aircraft you can do any repairs, modifications and upgrades without being an A&P. The main thing to keep in mind is that the aircraft needs to be safe for flight. So if you do the repair using the SB or a technic listed in AC43.13 (such as welding) it would be fine. As far as aircraft records you should record the work that has been done. You can always talk the repair over with and A&P and see what they think (would they be OK to sign off the condition inspection is another way to say it).

The only time you will need an A&P for an E-AB is to perform the annual condition inspection. Only to original builder of an E-AB can be approved to perform the condition inspection. Once the plane is sold only an A&P or IA can sign off the condition inspection. If you are an A&P you can do the inspection yourself, it doesn't require an IA like certified planes do.

BTW I would be perfectly OK with the rudder pedals being welded as long as it was properly done.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Just what PapuaPilot said.

and

While Kitfox may call it a "Service Bulletin", there is no legal requirement to comply on an Experimental aircraft. It may be wise to comply but it is not required.

Maxwell
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Quote Originally Posted by N981MS View Post
    While Kitfox may call it a "Service Bulletin", there is no legal requirement to comply on an Experimental aircraft. It may be wise to comply but it is not required.

Maxwell
    The same is true with certified aircraft. No SB must be complied with unless the FAA makes it an AD. Likewise it is wise to comply with some of the SBs.

Many of the SBs these days seem like they are written by the manufacture's legal department. It's a CYA strategy. Unfortunately legal with the FARs and FAA is totally different than with lawyers.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I've always worked on certified aircraft, mostly Beechcraft, and have never seen a "mandatory" service bulletin. AD's yes, but not SB's. I don't think AD's can be issued to experimental aircraft so the mandatory SB must be their equivalent. Regardless, the mods will be done on mine.