Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Corvair in a Kitfox

Default Re: Corvair in a Kitfox

Ok guys this is as far as I can take the bandit. I'll be taking him up to Joe at the end of September for engine installation, windshield installation and final assembly. After that I should be in the air. I'll try and get photos as I can. Be back soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

With some delay I have taken the bandit up to joe yesterday. There is a list of things to do and it looks like the lower cowl will be the most challenging. Joe will keep me up to date with photos of the progress and I will relay them back to this forum. Hopefully we will be running soon!!!

Hopefully it will be flying soon. One thing I would note however, there is a lot of weight on the tailwheel with the wings folded. Add in a bumpy road and it can do damage. JImChuk

Does that explain why so many people have their tail elevated in level flight attitude when on the trailer?
    Eddie

Often the plane it set on the trailer with the tail towards the front. Having the wings closer to level would put less wind pressure on to the top of the wings which would add to the weight on the tail. A lot of the trailers used were converted from boat trailers so they work out way better if the plane is loaded tail first. I hauled this Kitfox 1500 miles, and the Avid Flyer about 450. Both had tail supports, and neither had any damage done. JImChuk

I'm actually working on a trailer mod that will allow that. Should be ready by next spring. I do agree though that if you haul one that way you have to be careful. Mine has already had the tail spring mod completed which helps. There is no battery which helps. There is no engine which doesn't help. It did arrive without any issues.

Hi MTCICON
    I believe the best way to support the rear of the fuselage is to use the 2 carry through tubes that are built in to the kit.If you look at the photos and album on my user CP on my Vixen trailer it will show what I mean. This "saddle" attachment distributes the load much better than a single point at the tail wheel. I believe these carry throughs are designed to be used with the tow bar attachment. Mine is a tri-gear but would work the same way on conventional undercarriage. Look at IMGP4899.
    Cheers
    Don

I believe that with the tow bar arrangement, all the weight is being supported by the rear attachment point. If anything, the forward attachment point is getting a downward push when the tow bar is used. (think of a tetter totter) No doubt though, using both attachment points on a trailer would support the airplane better. However, if there is any flex in the trailer, or the front of the plane can go up and down at all, having both points mounted solid would cause more bending stress on the fuselage than just one attachment point I think. The other option that may be best of both worlds would be a saddle or bracket that attaches to both holes but only attaches at one point on the trailer. Like a Y or V JImChuk

Hi Jim
    That is exactly how this trailer is designed. Shows clearly on the photos. The entire assembly slides on the 2 inch square tubing and also pivots.
    Don

Sorry, I didn't see your picture. Where can I see it? JImChuk