Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tires

Default Re: tires

The tires I am looking at are Goodyear Flight Special 2 from Aircraft Spruce for $213

I just put on the 27.5 8inch from Desser. All I can say about these tires is, a game changer. I love them.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzypilot View Post
    The tires I am looking at are Goodyear Flight Special 2 from Aircraft Spruce for $213

These "blimp" tires are very heavy and have a very stiff side walk. FYI.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I just put on the 27.5 8inch from Desser. All I can say about these tires is, a game changer. I love them.
    Pictures please

I have a question that will not get a specific answer as there are innumerable variables that may shift performance one way or another. Specific airframe, weight, engine, prop, etc.

Bigger tires bigger weight should increase take off roll.
    Bigger tires roll easier and should decrease take off roll.

Does one have more influence than the other?

Mainly I would like to know is there a penalty on take off roll.

I am curious about anyone's insight into this.

I have stock wheels and tires on our Series 6 TD with an IO240.

Thanks
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

I went from 6-6.00 to 26" Airstreaks (not much difference but the landings are pillow soft. Loved the tires on the plane and near perfect for these size plane. Sold the 26" Airstreaks and upgraded to the 29" Airstreaks so I could have bragging rights and look awesome. While they are super soft and makes even a bad landing look good, I think the extra weight and drag are a little much for the plane. The other issue with these big tires is the fact that one needs to either add another brake caliper or the intensifiers as braking is degraded to the point of being barely sufficient.

Maybe if I were flying in the Alaska bush or really rough strips, I would keep them. I wished I had kept the 26" Airstreaks as I felt they were near perfect for my flying.

While at Oshkosh this year I purchased a set of the Desser 8.50 smoothies and will be running them tubeless. They are going to allow for an increase of 20+ lbs. of useful load. I don't have anything to prove to anybody and think they will be a great tire for my use. Will I look like the ubber awesome bush pilot? No, but the plane will perform better.

went from 22 nanco's to the Desser 27 1/2. not only does it look good. it flies good. I don't think I lost more than 1 kts. take off seems normal. landing. smooooooth. wheel lands niiiiice. I love them, would do it again. At first I put the big tires on and left the little wheel in the back. that worked out just fine. I now have the T3 with the 8 inch matco. raised the rear up. but it still works great. I have flown it a bunch in the last couple months. I have done a few landings off field and these tires are great.http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=493
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I just went from the dresser 21x800-6 tires to 26" airstreaks and love them.

A bonus is the increase in the 3 point aoa, not mentioned before. This will aid in shortening the takeoff and landing rolls. I had also changed to a Grove tailspring which lessened my aoa. The big tire got that back and then a little more.

My double puck Grove brakes seem to still work well with these tires.

I kept the smaller tires, wheels and rotors to make for a quick swap in winter because my skis are designed around the 21" tires.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have all the pieces to put double calipers on my kitfox. I still have the single and I can stop just fine. seems like it did with the 22 tires. so will I put the other caliper on. sure, just don't have the time right now. but I will. I can still do a static 5200 run up with what I have. oh and it's been about 10 years the last time I put brakes on my plane. they work great when I use them that is. no I don't drag my feet to stop. I just come in so slow I don't need brakes.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Regarding Maxwell's question, my thinking would be that small tires roll better on hard surfaces and should give a shorter T/O roll. Large floaty tires roll better on grass and soft surfaces and should give shorter T/O roll on those surfaces. At T/O speeds I doubt that the differences in drag amount to anything measurable. Of course more weight will always be a negative. So the answer as usual is set up the plane according to your type of flying.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS