Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: dle's Oz Build

Default Re: dle's Oz Build

Hi Ross, I may be in the UK in November, not sure yet. If not, I'll be there with bells on ..... However, in 2018 I'll be flying there in a new aeroplane !!
    David
    SS7 Builder

I haven't posted for quite a while so thought it about time. I've been very busy building wings. And this weekend was a milestone. Matched up the wings to the fuselage. The weather has been dry where I'm building so no rain about because I needed to assemble it outside - not enough room in the shed to do it there. As most of you know, lots of tweaking to get angles right, especially getting everything level, and then heart in mouth as you drill off the wing to fuse attach bolt holes. Fortunately, things went ok so wings are off again and now I'm getting down to installing leading edges, fuel tanks, pitot/static etc.

I have a general question regarding covering: I haven't done fabric covering before, but have access to a good instructional video, the PolyFibre handbook and of course the Kitfox build manual. Did those of you who have covered your aircraft attend courses or did you get enough from the instructional material you had available ?. I'm just tossing up whether it's worth trying to get some hands on before I launch into doing it myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David47; 10-15-2017 at 02:59 AM.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Great Milestone Dave! We will try and fly out to check it out again before the end of the year but things are getting busy! As for the Polyfibre covering - we attended a polyfibre workshop at Temora but that doest happen and the company that did it has ceased to operate. Gayle and I would be happy to come out and show you a few tricks to get you started if you like - it mostly just getting used to the way the different glues work and how to work corners and apply tapes - like most of the project, you just get good at doing it when the job is over!

A couple of suggestions -

buy boxes of disposable gloves
    get a good respitrator
    buy extra MEK from the likes of Blackwoods
    Follow the instructions in the polyfibre handbook closely
    get a good teflon based iron
    buy an infrared thermometer off ebay

happy to share what we learnt and do a few practices with you when you are ready if that would help.

hers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: dle's Oz Build--covering

I wanted to add this covering system for you to consider. I have covered 5 planes over the last 18 years and I have found this system to work well for me. Exceptional finish with 1/2 the time of using Polyfiber and much less weight. My Kitfox will be covered with this system through the primer and top coating or I might use PPG top coatings. Just another thought.

ABOUT SUPERFLITE

Superflite introduced the aviation community to the first all-urethane aircraft covering process. It was functional and long-lasting with a superior end result. Since that time, there have been upgrades, and with System 7, we have a system for every type of user in every type of climate.

As you shop for your next aircraft covering project, consider Superflite for your fabric and finish. We have what you need to get the award-winning finish you want.
    Jim

Good work Dave. Drilling those holes are an important step.
    Ross gave you great tips.
    Having someone who has gone through the process help you get started is a nice confidence booster. You'll quickly learn how easy the process is and likely it will be one, if not the, funnest and most rewarding parts of the build.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

You’re making great progress, Dave! I like the use of the hoist to support the wing while fitting it... I hadn’t thought of that. I had taken a Poly Fiber course also, and it was helpful but not completely applicable since I used the Oratex. Ross’s generous offer sounds like something that would be very good.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks Jim, Steve and John. It's been a fun trip so far and I'm thoroughly enjoying doing it ...... the covering is the only area so far where I'm a bit doubtful. Jim, thanks for the information on Superflight, but I'm locked in to using Polyfibre but maybe for the next project !.

Ross, great advice and very welcomed. Thanks. I'm coming to the Mt Beauty flyin so I'll bend yours and Gayles ear about your expertise !!
    David
    SS7 Builder

I've also done a number of airplanes with poly fiber, and it really is fairly easy to do. Especially if you have a bit of hand's on advice like Rossir offered. Start with the tailfeathers, they are a good place to learn going around corners and such, and if you don't like what it looks like, it's not that big a deal to peal it off and do it over. The wings are real easy to do, pretty much every thing is straight. You do get to learn how to rib stich though. :-) JImChuk

Thanks Jim. Sounds like if you mess up you have a second chance .... that takes a bit of the heat off.
    David
    SS7 Builder

So I've been busy doing stuff the last 3 months. In particular, both wing substructures finished and started covering, using Polyfiber. Ross gave me some good advice on what I needed and then I got a copy of the EAA video on fabric covering by Polyfibre. The video, and the Polyfibre manual are excellent. I also took advice from John Evens posts and bought a Toko ski iron. Really useful little iron, and stated accuracy is spot on. Checked temperature variations at 250F and 320F (the highest it can achieve) according to the user manual and they are bang on. So jumped in at the deep end and started the wing straight off. Before I did though I made access panels and surrounds for the fuel tank area and for both wing strut/wing joints. These will give really good access to the strut fittings for inspection. I've also made the surrounds at the strut penetrations a little wider so that I can incorporate strut/wing fairings in the future if I want. Total weight added by these access panels, including attach hardware is about 1lb - not a big price to pay for the benefits. I used commercial grade aluminium alloy for all this stuff as it's non-structural. Anyone currently building that wants details happy to share dimensions etc. I also incorporated additional stiffening into the trailing edge. Started installing brake lines, incorporating extension panels to the baggage area and because I'm installing a Lyc engine, I'm currently assessing the best place for the battery down the backend. Then, its on to the mysteries and dark arts of installing electrics and electronics. My panel will be a mix of the old and the new. I've bought an 8.5" MGL iEFIS with engine RDAC, V6 radio and Trig Xpdr. The panel layout is designed and the Airmaster CSP with Whirlwind blades is about to be ordered. And to finish it off, I'm probably heading to Oshkosh this year with another aviation friend I went through Uni with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder