Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rebuilding a Kitfox 4

Default Rebuilding a Kitfox 4

Hi all, I'm in the process of rebuilding a Kitfox 4 that I hauled up from Texas a few years back. (thanks Pete Ohms) Never expected it would take this long to get to, but other things got in the way. I did the wings last summer and am sandblasting the fuselage now. I was planning to paint the fuselage with PPG Omni 172 epoxy and am wondering if I should maybe use an acid etching primer first or just what. Any suggestions? Thanks, JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Rebuilding a Kitfox 4

Jim,

Omni MP172 is a primer - should be applied over scuffed bare metal or scuffed fiberglass or a scuffed painted surface. It needs to be clean - MX190 Cleaner or equal.

Greg

Trying to find directions on using the MX 190 cleaner, and nothing comes up. Mostly I'm concerned with not having any rust under the paint. I have some areas under the fabric that were just barely rusted, not pitted or anything, After sitting a couple of days after sandblasting, those areas were taking on a rust color (flash rust?) In this PPG info, they recommend the acid etch, but others say it causes more problems then it solves. JImChuk
    http://us.ppgrefinish.com/getdoc/d83...election-Guide

The attached is from my 1993 manual. The Epoxy Chromate primer is no longer available. The chromate, a rust inhibitor was deemed too toxic and made illegal. The epoxy is still applicable as any primer used needs to be resistant to any fabric finishing chemicals. This was the procedure I followed as the fuselage was not powder coated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I'm pretty sure the MX190 was replaced by DX330 and since replaced by SX330 here: http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refini...X330-and-SX440

Greg