Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotax 912 mixture

Default Rotax 912 mixture

Might be a dumb question but ....

I've read about a high altitude compensator for some Rotax since there is no mixture knob.

Is the 912 effected by high density altitude airports/days or so the carbs self adjust somehow?

Still learning so take it easy on me!

Default Re: Rotax 912 mixture

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    Might be a dumb question but ....

I've read about a high altitude compensator for some Rotax since there is no mixture knob.

Is the 912 effected by high density altitude airports/days or so the carbs self adjust somehow?

Still learning so take it easy on me!
    The carbs self adjust to a certain extent(constant velocity) but there is a company called Hacman that makes them adjustable for mixture. My friend has one on his model 5 and likes it, he might chime in here....

I'm a fan of stock. Stock is how the engineers put it together. If it isn't stock, ... its wrong. Go ahead and say, ... "its experimental" if you want to. there are parts of the plane that lend themselves to experimentation very well. The Rotax is not one of them.
    I know the U.S. military uses them in drones at high altitude with turbo chargers, super chargers, lazer beams and quantum physics, but ... their budget is bigger than mine. If I had the money for a super cub with 180HP etc. I would probably buy it, but it would be out of ego not out of necessity and certainly not out of practicality. The Rotax 912 80 HP is a thing of beauty. The 100 HP is a thing of beauty with gold trim, the 914 is a thing of beauty with gold trim and a turbo charger, etc etc. Don't mess with the carbs man, they are sacred. Ok, that was fun. I'll Pay I know, but it was still fun.

I have read good reviews on the Hacman device, although I will say I have not personally tried it. The reports I have read state a much lower fuel burn at higher altitude. If you check out the BCP site and search posts made by courierguy, he wrote up some very good reviews in using it on his RANS S7. I will mention that he flies at much higher altitude with his plane than I have probably ever flown mine, other than my 172.

I was going to get one and try it but as the previous poster stated, sometimes leaving things stock is better. But the again, I have the Zipper Big Bore one my engine.

I've been using the Hacman on a 912 ULS for a couple of years (500-600 hours).
    I LIKE it! Big improvement in fuel economy and smoothness. One can always make a good thing better.