Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Engine RPM

Default Max Engine RPM

I have a type III with a Subaru EA81 engine and a 1.80:1 reduction drive. The engine is rated at 80 HP at 5,000 RPM. The max RPM I've seen is 4,000. Since I didn't build the airplane, I have no knowledge as to how this came to be. The question is, should I just simply adjust the prop until I get the 5,000, or are their other things that I should consider?

Thanks, I'll standby for your comments.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Default Re: Max Engine RPM

Hi Chuck,

Interesting deal.....First off, I cannot claim to be any kind of expert on the EA81; but, the prop pitch does have a dramatic influence on any engine's performance; and, general principals apply often.

Might be good to let the list know what prop you have on the engine....and prop model...for instance, Warp has a square tip and a tapered tip which behave a little differently and they come in different diameters (blade length).

Might be worthwhile to do a couple preliminary things before adjusting the prop.....1) measure the existing prop pitch with the appropriate protractor so you know what your starting point is. 2) Be sure the engine tune is up to par....no restrictions due to filters which are not clean, plugs clean & timing and correct, throttle cable & carb adjusted so the throttle opens fully, correct fuel mixture, carb heat not locked on, compression...basically check anything that could result in a power reduction if it is not 100% ....

I am sure others on the list have experience with EA81's & if people know what prop you have it would help with advice folks may offer.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Tapered tip

St Paul, MN

Hi Dave. Thanks for the "to do" list. I've pretty much done all those things. It's interesting to note that this prop is not the one the builder originally installed. It seems the second owner ground looped the A/C and wiped out the gear and prop. This prop manufactured by IVOPROP Corp. I'll get all the other poop tomorrow and post that as well.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby

Might want to double check the tach/RPM also. Not all of these gauges are accurate. Sometimes things are not what they seem :-) Jim Chuk

Hi folks,

An update to my prop/RPM question:

The prop's an IVO, 68 1/4" in diameter, two blades. The pitch measured at the 75% point is 16 degrees. Maximum RPM during T/O is 4,000 ( I haven't checked in level flight).

The engine is a Subaru E81, rated at 80 HP at 5,000 RPM.

Note: I talked to the original owner and builder Jack Bally about the above question. He said that the engine repair manual rates the engine at 72 HP (not 80) at 4,800 RPM ()not 5,000). He orginally pitched the prop to yield 4,200 RPM on T/O and cruised at 3,800. His original prop was a 3 bladed Warp Drive.

I think based on the above, I'm pretty close to where I ought to be, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to let this one rest and work on some other concerns.

Thanks everybody for your help,
    Chuck Gruby

Chuck, at those rpm your prop is only turning 2333 rpm on take off and 2111 at cruise. You might be wasting some performance that way.
    I could be incorrect.
    Steve

Definitely losing performance. At 4000 at TO = 2222 prop rpm and with that engine likely around 60hp. Prop is at 59% of mach and ideally you would want to run it at least 75% and sometimes as high as 90% depending on the prop and climb vs cruise performance considerations.

With a 16 deg pitch on a 68.25 inch prop you could gain a little by increasing the pitch to say 18 deg, but personally I'd want more umph on takeoff - if anything just for some margin. You are also probably running about 50lbs heavier than a Rotax 912 which won't help performance.

There were also many different variations of the E81, you will hear numbers all over the board. If yours was an early single carb model, out of a Brat - likely factory spec was 73hp @ 4800.

Greg

Hi Greg,

A couple of things:
    1. Could you give me the formula for mach speed versus RPM for given prop lengths?

2.Are the performance percentages a percentage of the mach one speed?

3. I favor having more power for takeoff as opposed to cruise. As a goal, I would like to target for 65% efficiency and see what that yields.

Thanks,
    Chuck Gruby

Quote Originally Posted by 896tr View Post
    Chuck, at those rpm your prop is only turning 2333 rpm on take off and 2111 at cruise. You might be wasting some performance that way.
    I could be incorrect.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. I'm definitely going to seek a little higher RPM for T/O.
    Chuck Gruby

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Might want to double check the tach/RPM also. Not all of these gauges are accurate. Sometimes things are not what they seem :-) Jim Chuk
    Thanks Jim. It seems like I remember a trick where you could run the engine at night looking through the prop at a florescent light and adjusting the RPM until the prop stops. This will give you a multiple of 60 RPM, for instance, you should be able to stop the prop at 3660 RPM. Any difference in the tach reading from that value, would be the error. And then there's the trick of flying behind another airplane with a know accurate tach and having him set it upon an agreed upon value and adjusting your rpm to stop the prop. I've done both. Thanks for the reminder, I'll check it out.
    Chuck Gruby