Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antenna wire

Default Antenna wire

What does anyone know about LMR-195 Coax cable in place of RG-58 cable? It is advertised as a replacement for RG-58. I am considering using it for my Comm, Transponder and ADS-B antenna cable.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Antenna wire

Stan,

There are many brands of 50ohm braided coax cable. RG58 is the cable connector type - not the cable itself. It's almost generic at this point, so easily confused. Having said that the LMR is made by Times Microwave. The LMR-PVC has a pvc outer jacket that is said to be more flexible than the usual polyethylene jacket. I have zero experience with it though.

Greg

Thank's Greg. I have zero knowledge of cable, wires and electronics. I am on a huge learning curve here. I will take all advice out there.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

rg58 has been used for years and years and probably still works fine . rg400 seems to be a replacement and is double shielded . both not to be confused with the shielded cable used for your tv
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I agree that the RG-400 is the cable of choice for many of us. Not only better (double) shielding, but also high temp insulation around the center conductor (PTFE).
    Last edited by jrevens; 09-18-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

for the person that will probably not have anything to do with coax other than a Kitfox radio and xponder antenna , heading to a radio shop and say make me a cable would be the easiest and cheapest . by the time a person sorts thru all the connectors , crimpers , strippers and types of cable ,it's well worth the price a shop will charge . for a one time or two time use , it's not worth buying all the required stuff to make four or eight crimps
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Use of pvc wire insulation in commercial and military aircraft is not allowed because when it burns, it gives off very toxic smoke. It is probably best to minimize its use in our planes as well. I used LMR 240 as a compromise between the RG58 and LMR400 coax. Half the impedance of RG58, not as good as LMR400, but not as large in diameter either.

There's also an eBay seller in Iowa named Dave Medin who makes up quality custom cables. He did an RG400 transponder cable for me delivered for $25.

A sample link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Custom-T...ee642f&vxp=mtr
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I went to the EAA electronics class (fall 2013) and the instructor recommended I use the RG58. He said his Masters Degree was in antennae. I learned how to build my own cables (comm and elt) not difficult. My SS7 was certified in May 2014 and I flew it to Oshkosh in July. While flying up the Lake Michigan shore line and talking to Chicago approach I asked how my radio sounded...he said it sounded better than most commercial installations. That and landing at Oshkosh were the two highlights of the trip. I routinely hear transmissions from 50-75 miles away at 3500 ft. I have a Garmin GTR-200 btw.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade

Correction: the instructor did his Masters Thesis on antennae.
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 912 ULS
    Whirlwind 3-Blade