Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aircraft brake fluid?

Question Aircraft brake fluid?

Just throwing it out there.
    what is the difference between automotive type one transmission fluid and aircraft brake fluid? The brake fluid is kind of a pain to get & seems to to look the same to me. I'm sure there is a difference. Could someone clue me in. Dutch

Default Re: Aircraft brake fluid?

I believe This is what you need.

Dutch, see this previous string: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4341

Answer: Some use ATF, most prefer to stick with aviation grade 5606H. Either should be compatible with synthetic rubber seals.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

You could probably put Marvel Mystery oil in there, and it would work fine
    (plus smell good) ... I don't think these brake systems are that picky to be
    honest, as long as the seals don't melt ...

Jeff

Unless you're a chemical engineer, I wouldn't want to guess what's compatible with the seals in your brake system. Use 5606 as it's called for and you won't have any problems.

As much as I've been using lately, I just bought a gallon from Aircraft Spruce and it should last me a lifetime.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Talking Re: Aircraft brake fluid?

Thank's for all the replies. The reason I brought it up, is that I suspected it is like a lot of other things, In that it is the same cheap beer in an other bottle. I fear that when the word aircraft appears anywhere on the label,it usually costs 3 times as much.Dutch

There are definitely areas we cans save $ on building our planes, but this wouldn't be one that I would choose. Brakes are one of the things I want to work properly with out any doubts. You don't want you brakes to fail at an inopportune moment, especially if the third wheel happens to be at the back of your plane.

Aircraft Spruce has a quart of Philips brand 5606 for less than $7. That should be enough to do your entire brake system. It's not worth the $4 you MIGHT save here.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I concur Phil, especially with the third wheel is where it belongs. You could have some serious aaaw cr@@ moments!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Just FYI, the 5606 is different than ATF fluid: The 5606 is a high quality mineral based hydraulic fluid. ATF is also a mineral based fluid with different additives for automatic transmissions, such as friction modifiers for the clutches, but some times is also used as a hydraulic fluid. It is just not optimized for hydraulic use as the 5606 is.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

A little late on the reply, but I was just looking through the MATCO specs and they indeed do authorize DOT 5 brake fluid. All others are not usable due to incompatibility with the seals.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying