Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS baggage area

Default SS baggage area

Having never seen an SS, is there any way of getting 2 sets of golf clubs in the baggage area?

Didn't I see a Fox with a baggage tube slung under the fuse somewhere?

Default Re: SS baggage area

what about weight and balance?
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Looking at the capability of 150 pounds nthe baggage are should make the W&B an non-issue, that's why I was asking. I was wondering if there was the physical room to do that or not.

In my Series 5 there is not enough length to the standard baggage compartment to hold golf clubs. If you are planning on building your airplane, a modification could probably be made to extend an area of the compartment to hold your sticks. A few years ago at OSH , I saw a modified bag compartment that even had access from the side of the fuselage.I am not sure if the baggage pod Kitfox offers is large enough for clubs. I would contact John Mcbean for more info.

The standard baggage bag isn't big enough for 2 sets of clubs, but there are tabs on the fuselage to put in extended baggage space as you build. We are doing just that on our build, and plan on putting a couple zippers in the bag we bought from John so we can access that space. Mark actually went to the trouble of putting in a door in the fuselage to make the space easier to get to. CG would of course be an issue and something you'd have to look at when deciding what you would want to put farther aft when flying.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/N517WD...d=132606786269
    Last edited by Wiley; 02-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.

The biggest thing here is the 150lbs of cargo in the back. If I were to start over I would want of these airplanes. But, I'm stuck with my little 4 , sorry won't trade that one. You people out there sure have some advantages on the new kitfox's.

Anyone have any updated or additional photos of their extended baggage on the SS7?

This is a major deciding factor for me. I don't need to carry a lot of weight, but volume will be important. Tents, sleeping bags, smaller cooler, rifles, etc. Possibly snow skis if the ext baggage is long enough. Easy to keep it under 150 lbs, but length and bulk are what I am concerned about.

I read that the flaperon mixing mechanism is an interference point limiting the baggage volume. Does anyone have a photo of this?

Thanks.

The flaperon mixer only affects the width of the bagage area as it is below and on the sides. I have a suggestion, though. I have been aircamping several times with guys that carried folding chairs attached to the lift struts (at the jury struts) with bungee cords. NOt being a golfer, I don't know how this would fit. I put hard points on one of mine for just this idea.

Another thought, however - the inspector that airworthied the neighbors Lancair IV spend his career as an accident investigator in Alaska. His story was that there were numerous survivable crashes with fatalities or severe injuries due to dislodged baggage coming forward violently at the time of impact. The one that really hit me was the guy that was speared in the back of his head by a fishing pole. Then there was the double fatality three years ago, here - back seat passengers in a Bonanza who were impacted by scuba tanks and a cooler full of beer. Be really careful!

In my "C" Model Avid the previous owner made an extended baggage that goes from the front of the vertical fin to the back of the seat. An aluminum floor was installed that completely covers the mixer system. The only thing exposed in mine is are the two push rods that connect to the flaperons.

Most of us are running nose heavy anyway (Every one that I know of is pretty close to the leading edge of the CG range). My last flight I had around 100# in the extended baggage area of mine and it was the first time I have been able to fly level with the elevator trim tab in the neutral position. Cruise speed and handling were alot better with the CG closer to the aft range.

I talked to Dean Wilson personally about the CG range and he said that flight testing showed best overall performance with the CG at 19" however, as the vision was for first time pilots to be building and learning to fly in the Avid Flyer that they set the CG range very conservative. He did caution in doing stalls at an aft CG of more than 20" should only be done with full flaps on so you have enough authority to push the nose over and get it flying again.

I would have no issues putting in 2 sets of clubs in my little ole model "C".

Here are a couple of photos of our completed baggage compartment. We modified the factory bag w/ a couple of heavy duty zippers (in photo2 you can see the back unzipped and laying down) to allow access to the additional space when needed. An added extra is the ability to keep items out of sight when on the ground by placing them in the rear area and zipping up the back wall of the bag.

Photo 1
    Photo 2