Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Boot cowl trimming

Default Boot cowl trimming

Looking for some suggestions as to how others trimmed the forward edge of their boot cowl to 3/4" without damaging it. Thanks

Default Re: Boot cowl trimming

Dremel tool with plastic cutting disk. Flawless. I beleive a metal cutting disk works as well. Im not sure they aren’t the same thing honestly.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Dremel tool with plastic cutting disk. Flawless. I beleive a metal cutting disk works as well. Im not sure they aren’t the same thing honestly.
    Eddie
    I just trimmed my wingtips with one of those, and agree it makes a good clean cut in fiberglass. It helps to mark your cut line with blue tape.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks, I'll pick one of those up.

6” angle Grinder. I find it’s the easiest for me to keep straight lines.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

My cowls came as two pieces (top and bottom). I ended up cutting both of them to make them into separate boot and engine cowls.

I used a Dremel tool, made an aluminum guide that I ran along an edge I did out of pink foam. After determining where the cut needed to be I put the blue tape on the cowl. Next I positioned the pink foam to create a lip to run the Dremel bit along the cut line. It was easy to cut a straight line by running the Dremel down the guide. I used my narrowest bit as a router.

Maybe you could do something like this with a cutting wh eel and homemade guide. I unscrewed the plastic nose piece of the Dremel to mount the aluminum home made guide. I made a hole in the aluminum the size of the Dremel nose and and mounted it on the Dremel using the threaded nose piece. Then I put another piece of aluminum with a small hole for the bit to come through. When I installed the bit I made it so I just came through the hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (85.9 KB, 107 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (44.8 KB, 105 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (50.1 KB, 107 views)
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

63113_zzz_alt6_500.jpg

Harbor Freight ocillating multi-tool. Don’t need the variable speed model shown in this photo. Just paid $15.00 with coupon for single speed model. Used it to cut fiberglass and carbon fiber items during my build. Works perfectly with the cutting attachment shown which is sold separately. Works best when the part being cut is layed on a piece of scrap wood if able. Easy to cut nice straight lines and curves.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear