Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike Rack

Default Re: Bike Rack

I Also love Mountain biking, and while there's no problem putting one in the plane (The wheels get cable tied to the roof inside the cabin), there is a problem to get my wife's bike in there as well.
    When I brought it up with the factory of the Bushbaby / Kitplanes for Africa Safari, Stefan Coetzee said that he would be concerned with flexing forces as the speed built up, risking the wing developing washout or increased angle of attack or flutter?
    I realize that Kitfox fuselage strength is very high compared to other makes, but are my thinkings valid?

http://saplanes.co.za/

Looking forward to a solution being found.
    Reid

As Paul mentioned, keeping the weight inboard.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I flew the Murphy Radical in Chilliwack, with a mountain bike under each wing, the plane handled great, I felt no effect on rudder, elevator o aleiron, the test pilot in the plane with me told me they stole about 10 mph.
    I would love to add those to a Kitfox 5, but I am concerned about strength and location. If the racks are installed outside the struts, as in the Radical or the 185 operating in NZ, would that put excessive stress on the bolt of the front spar? The two planes I mentioned don't have folding wings, so in theory they are stronger there. If I install the racks slanted inside the jury struts, that would significantly reduce the stress/moment/torque on the holes through which the bolt that holds the front spar goes through, but the turbulence created by the bicycles would be a lot closer the the tail surfaces, possibly affecting handling.
    One bicycle can probably be attached under the fuselage with no issues, but it might affect the airflow on the tail surfaces slightly. I think two bikes under the fuselage is not possisble.
    I'm willing to hear the thoughts of the more experienced Kitfoxers. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like nobodoy has opinions to my concerns and doubts...