Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 800 hours / 18 months

Default 800 hours / 18 months

Hi,

I noticed that the factory is giving 1000 hours or 18 month as average build time. Even 200 hours less with quick build wings. Looking at the builder websites, this looks VERY optimistic: 800 hours / 18 months = 44,5 hour per month = 11 hours per week.

How realistic is that build time given by the factory? I am talking about a 7 STi with Rotax engine. No fancy (time consuming) modifications.

Thanks

Default Re: 800 hours / 18 months

There are lots of people who do it in that time frame. Ross did his in about that time. Scott N was about a year and there are lots of guys like Cherry Bark, Jeremy, and Eddie who are in-line for about 2 years.

I’m 6 years in with whole periods of a year where I didn’t touch the plane. I’m probably a couple hundred hours over the average however my FWF is completely different than the kitfox instructions which ads time (EFI, dual alternator, Intercooler, ect)

I would say 1200 hours for a first time builder. Others will chime in
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I'm not far enough along to have an authoritative word, but I would say that 1000-1200 hours if you ordered Quick Build wings is more reasonable. 18 months is reasonable as well. However, what is "reasonable", "average" and "typical" are three different things. I would say that the average and median build times are considerably longer than 18 months. While it is probably on the optimistic side, enough people have done it that it's certainly not unreasonable.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I think a lot has to do with how you log your time. Many folks estimate from memory after several days and only consider time "actually working". Me being a detail oriented engineer logged my time accurately starting from the time I stepped into the shop, until I left after all cleanup and tools put away. I even logged time spent reading the manual and planning the next steps. My total time doing it this way was a little over 2000 hours, for a first time build.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

To further clarify, I did not use quick build anything or any prefab parts.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

At OSH I generally hear people saying "at least double the time the kit manufacturer says". Being aware that it all come down on how much time someone can spend on it every day/week/month, I just want to do a reality check with those numbers, so I know were I get myself into. A lot of kitplanes are never finished. It is not an exact science, more a guideline. I come from a RV background were there are amazingly boring stages in the build. The wings or the fuel tanks to just give two examples. That kit requires a lot of preparation of mental sheets: drill, debur, countersync, dimple, prime, ... while the actual building, meaning putting things together so the final rivets can go in, it rather limited. It takes time before people who are not building see that it actually becomes an aircraft. Not always very motivating for the builder. To my feeling this kit is different in that way that you see quicker and more consistent progress because you don't do all this boring preparations on metal sheets. I think this helps a lot to motivate to continue...

For what it's worth, I would totally ignore the "18 months". In my wildest imagination, I can't conceive of how that figure could be determined. Not a 7, but my first IV kit was delivered in March 1993 and I fist flew September 1998. I was working full time. The second was a partially completed IV kit - up to wing mounting. Purchased early 2011 and first flight 2012.

Thinking about your RV experience - not many of those drudgery days looking forward to being able to take some meaningful "Progress Shots.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Got my kit mid March 2017. I've logged 600 hours hands on and figure I have about 300 more to go... I log my hours after each build session. If I was to add in the hours spent reading the manual, researching from this site etc, I'd add about another 200-300 hours. I think numbers such as 18 months to 2 years and 1000 to 1200 hours are reasonable, but it depends on many other factors such as whether you work fulltime, family commitments, whether you have reasonable DIY skills etc. But in the end, it takes what it takes.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Im approaching 25 months. The last two months have had nearly no work as I am so unmotivated to do the electrical. I know, I am always bringing that up. This coming Monday I begin a week of transition training / back country and Bi-annual flying with Stick and Rudder. I am really counting on that to motivate me back into the garage. The only things I have left are the Turtle Deck build, interior fabric and of course the electrical.
    Eddie

Eddie, I think your time scheduled with Stick & Rudder will be plenty motivating. Have fun. I know you will.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear