Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wire runs

Default Wire runs

I am looking at my plane today working on the wire runs for the strobes/landing lights/neg/pos wires. Where did you find the best place to have connections/disconnect plugs. Did you run all wiring through the center of the fuselage or up the side panels. These are things I did not note when looking at others planes.

Default Re: Wire runs

I went in the centre. I dont think the sides would work as well. For how often I will never take off my wings, I’m not putting plugs but if I did, it would be at the wing root. Instead I’m putting plugs at the wing tips. If I ever need to remove a wing ill pull the wire all the way out from the wing tip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Unlike many, I ran my fuel line through the center between the seats. I ran the wing wiring cables down center as well but on the floor. Which brings up the main point: keep wires away from fuel lines as much as possible. I put connectors behind the seat (only because the cables weren't long enough to make the run all the way to the panel&#128547. Might come in handy some day......

Disregard the &#128457 butt entry?????

I ran all my wiring through the center of the fuselage and up behind the seats. Running them under the door made me think they would be easier to damage and or chafe.
    For the wings and wingtips, since they are easily removable, I installed DB9 connectors (computer type 9 pin) at the root and at the wingtip. These connectors are used in many aviation electrical connections both civil and military with very good reliability.
    I also installed a 3/8" thinwall plastic tube in the wing to act as a conduit for the wiring. You can get the tubing at the aviation aisle in Lowes/Home Depot/Menards etc.

Edit
    I also ran my fuel/ lines through the center console along with duplex valve, fuel pumps, filters, and flow sensors. See pics in my Album.
    Lots of room under the center console.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I avoided going down the middle bottom of the plane to avoid the fuel lines, flap and elevator controls. Starting from the backside of the panel most of my wiring goes to the right, down to the floor and aft under the doors. Then the wing wires go up the rear door post and into the wing spars. The left wing wiring goes to the left side of the panel and followed a similar route. I made channels to hold the wing wiring that I mounted to the front of the aft triangle windows, I didn't want to run the wing wires on the angle tube along with the fuel hoses.

I also chose not to put plugs at the wing root as it can readily be disconnected at the wingtips and pulled out. I used the black plastic sheathing inside the spars and in any other area where protections from rubbing could occur.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

My wiring runs thru the center between the seats in some aluminum angles and light plastic conduit. Used Weatherseal connectors at the wing roots and at the tips. The plastic header tank was replaced with aluminum shortly after photo was taken.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I used the same connectors for my wing lights as you did, Jim... at the wingtips & behind the seats. Ran my wires through 3/8” black thin-wall sprinkler system tubing through the spars. Running your fuel line towards the center takes 1 or 2 less bends than going around the right side like I did, which is good. I made an aluminum channel for a wire chase located under the pilots seat, and ran another bundle under the right seat supported by Adel clamps and the airframe tubing, transitioning to a couple more channels under the center counsel going up to the firewall area.
    Last edited by jrevens; 01-15-2018 at 12:07 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks, guys,
    It is always amazing to me how many wires we need for simple planes!

I've done the same routing as Phil; i.e. rear fuselage wire cables down the RH side and wing cables down the LH and RH sides. I've reserved the centre console area for fuel and brake lines only, rudder cables excepted of course .... Separates electrons from fluids.
    David
    SS7 Builder