Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 915is Updates in the Kitfox?

Default 915is Updates in the Kitfox?

I've been keeping my eye on the 915is - but I've not seen a lot of info out there at all. I came across this from a few weeks ago today https://youtu.be/Q2oyGg4s3EU

I remember reading here somewhere that it was mentioned a possible concern with the prob on the 915is in the kitfox. Something about hydraulics? I could be wrong.

Anyway, in this video they mention a constant speed prop that's computer controlled and doesn't require anything extra. At least that was my take. About 40 lbs heavier than the 912is.

I know it's probably all guessing right now - but do those that know more about engines and kitfox in general think we'll see this within the year? Or do you know of or think there are bigger things to overcome?

Default Re: 915is Updates in the Kitfox?

Well Keith - CPS (Califironia Power Systems now has it priced at $38,667 and it has been constantly going up prior to even one unit being delivered. Their Q&A also states the current version is only set up for variable (constant speed) prop. And they state maybe another year for a fixed pitch version.

Pretty rich for the HP in my view!

Ouch. That is up there in cost. I also noticed the main product page shows TBO at 1200 hrs, not 2000. That's a big difference.

IMO - Not even close to worth that kind of money.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The latest I heard was that a hydraulic Constant Speed Prop was required. I wonder if they'll extend the TBO after it acquires some service history. As it is, if you make an apples-to-apples comparison by assuming ~$10/hour in overhaul costs for the 800 hours you're losing, The cost compared to the rest of the rotax line is a staggering $46,667. I was hoping there would be a way to justify this engine on my plane, but it's looking bleak.

Since I am in the market for a new flivver I am also weighing the different options. Edge Performance seems to be a better option if one wants power with light weight. It is an expensive engine also,and warranty might be something a buyer would have to consider.

Although a lot heavier, the Titan has more power, and $10K +/- less. Unfortunately it needs Avgas if that is an issue. You can get a car gas compatible motor with less HP though.

ULPower? Still surprised No One Has popped one in. I was going to until I got a deal on my engine. It’s lighter, costs the same as the titan I believe, and runs on auto fuel. The 130hp model would be waaay cheaper than the 915 and the titan. Looks like zenith is having good success with them
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

When I last visited the factory some years back, there was a customer plane in the shop getting at least a partial FWF developed for its UL Power engine.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Agreed..the UL is another option. For some reason there just doesn't seem to be many out there. I looked at them also and they are a very nicely built engine. Cost per Hp is very similar when compared equally. I know there were a few RANS aircraft with them installed but I never saw or heard much more about those either.

Same issue as the Jabiru in a way I think. Direct drive/high revs, small prop. Not the best combination for a STOL type aircraft. JImChuk