Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 800 hours / 18 months

Default Re: 800 hours / 18 months

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Im approaching 25 months. The last two months have had nearly no work as I am so unmotivated to do the electrical. I know, I am always bringing that up. This coming Monday I begin a week of transition training / back country and Bi-annual flying with Stick and Rudder. I am really counting on that to motivate me back into the garage. The only things I have left are the Turtle Deck build, interior fabric and of course the electrical.
    Eddie
    You might be surprised Eddie. I was DREADING the electrical and it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the build for me..
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    You might be surprised Eddie. I was DREADING the electrical and it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the build for me..
    Me, too. It was time consuming and tedious, but I found it very satisfying.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The averages we see across the board have been 1000 hours / 18 months.. These are averages that have been shared with us over MANY years.
    We've had some that have been building for several years, changed jobs and houses.
    Many have finished in as little as 5 and 6 months.
    Circumstances are going to be very different for each person. It is not a race.
    Averages are just that.. your mileage may vary.
    PS.. a majority of the kits are sold with quick build wings.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I think the averages John just shared with us are quite realistic. But of course, not everyone works at the same rate. So as John said "Your mileage may vary"

And just like when you got your pilots license, if you stretch the time to get your license out over a few years vs a few months, you will have to relearn much of what you forgot between lessons. Building a plane is much the same in my opinion. The person that can apply a constant, dedicated work discipline will always build a kitplane faster than the person that wants the build to be an enjoyable activity that will be fit in between their other activities of life.

I personally like the second option, as if you can balance your build with things like your family obligations it will be a more enjoyable experience. But of course it will take longer. In the end however, I believe you will not only have a much better overall experience for all involved, but likely a nicer airplane. Spreading it out also helps ease the expense, which is also good for things like the family budget.

I think this is why you see most people take their time building their Kitfox. Of course, to onlookers that probably makes the whole process look more difficult and time consuming than it really is. But everyone involved is probably a bit happier in the end.

With all that said, I've seen people build a kitplane in two months. But they had no life and were exhausted by the time it was done. Unless you are truly a workaholic, I might question if that is even healthy? Before I would do that I'd just buy a flying airplane. But then you would lose that great sense of satisfaction that comes from building your very own flying machine. And that in my opinion is priceless...

Just to put in my two cents worth. Am retired, except for volunteering as an EMT, My hangar is a 5 minute walk from home, and most importantly I had sold my Lake Buccaneer and was without a flying machine. Logged my build pretty carefully, which was my first build, and included the quick build wings. Came in at 1600hours and first flight in 22months. I felt it was pretty good as had never done fabric, paint, or wiring a panel.
    Oh yes...marriage still entact. Jeff, N. Idaho

Jeff's plane is immaculate, and I am envious. I watched him build it and his numbers are dead on.
    Decide what you want and how bad you want it. Then take the level of action required to satisfy that decision. It IS math, but keep the marriage intact