Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mcfarlane throttle

Default Re: Mcfarlane throttle

i don't want to be misunderstood, i do like the throttle. its a vast improvement over the old one. mcfarlane has some really good customer service people.
    they should put a link in the paperwork you get with the throttle to the video on how to reinstall the rollers. even with the precautions they suggest about the rollers , they can come out. its a lot easier to get them back in the second time.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks, Eddie, I didn't know the iS had a spring.

I'll be getting this throttle very soon. I'll be needing to pick a bunch of your brains.

I have the Mcfarlane throttle 2 cable setup on my 912 and it is smooth and works good ,But I had to go to allot lighter springs on the carbs.I just could not land the plane and work the flapperons at the same time.if you loosen off the friction so that you can control the RPM during landing then you can't let go of the throttle to work the flapperons without the springs pulling it to full throttle.
    I went with the lightest springs that would pull the carb to full throttle with the cable Disconnected [which simulates a broken throttle cable].
    I found that the Mcfarlane throttle Cables are stiff enough that they can push and pull the throttle without the aid of springs,but I put the light spring on for safety. My carbs stayed balanced with the lighter springs.

I love my McFarlane cable. It only takes light finger pressure to control the locking mechanism. I got rid of the springs. My carbs stay balanced and I just don't have any problems with the springs gone.

Friend had an SLSA from Kitfox (no McFarlane cable) and it came with no springs on the carbs. So, decided to try it on my airplane.

Love having vernier control on approach to landing. On mine, I can keep light tension on the locking mechanism, so I can either push/pull easily or use the vernier - which ever is most needed at the time.

This setup is so much better than the original.

Regards
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by little rocket View Post
    I have the Mcfarlane throttle 2 cable setup on my 912 and it is smooth and works good ,But I had to go to allot lighter springs on the carbs.I just could not land the plane and work the flapperons at the same time.if you loosen off the friction so that you can control the RPM during landing then you can't let go of the throttle to work the flapperons without the springs pulling it to full throttle.
    I went with the lightest springs that would pull the carb to full throttle with the cable Disconnected [which simulates a broken throttle cable].
    I found that the Mcfarlane throttle Cables are stiff enough that they can push and pull the throttle without the aid of springs,but I put the light spring on for safety. My carbs stayed balanced with the lighter springs.
    Which spring? The light McFarlanes?

No ,I went with springs that I bought from Lordco automotive store,but last week as the temps started to be cold in the mornings I started having problems with it running rough on startup at idle.Put the carb mate to check carb balance and found that the springs were letting a tiny movement of the throttle arm at idle and I could not get it to balance at idle but balance was perfect above idol all the way to full power.Finally had to put the heavy springs back on to get it back in balance at idle and above.I hate the heavy springs though.

I would be suspicious that the throttle spring tension has ANYTHING to do with carb balance. Unless you have worn out carburetor linkage, the springs don't contribute to balance other than to seat both carbs on their respective stops.
    Your Comment about the colder weather has implications though. When its cold, many pilots close the gap on the spark plugs to the minimum gap. This gives a nice solid spark and helps the "fire" burn immediately on those cold winter days.

Movement on the carburetor arm at idle would indicate loose linkage. could you send a close up pic of the carbs set up? I want to see the cockpit throttle position at idle and the carburetor arms at rest and under tension.
    P.M. me if you cant upload the pics and I"ll get you my email.

The springs on a 912 pull the throttles open. Without spring pressure, the cables may slacken causing the carbs to go out of synch.

The braided throttle cables most of us use are designed to pull only. They do not have the rigidity to push, therefore maintaining synchronization without springs is almost impossible.

I have gone to gapping my plugs at .020-.022" all the time. The ignitions are not that strong and my engine seems to run much better at this gap.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Smile Re: Mcfarlane throttle

I should have specified, that. Sorry, Av8r300.
    I also use the Mcfarlane throttle. Some operators are removing the safety springs for full throttle return to solve the control creep during landing phase.
    I did this. I have no problem with pushing the throttle to the stops WOT. I have been doing it for about 350 hours.
    I also remove my top cowl at the end of the day. I inspect the engine compartment as part of my pre-flight/post flight. It is a 30 second job at most.

So I don't think I'll have a broken cable in my future but, that said, the springs are for the potential broken linkage in a dual carb engine. Removing them defeats a primary safety device in the unlikely event of a broken carb control.

But controlling the plane in a tight landing situation requires full control as well. I prefer not having to fight my plane to the runway.

The smoothness of the throttle operation without the springs is a remarkable plus for throttle control.