Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912UL Preferred Oil Temp Sender Position

Default Re: 912UL Preferred Oil Temp Sender Position

G'day Dave,

I like the idea of having a spare too. What did you do with the red RTV, did you pull the thermister out or just put it around the wires ?
    What I'm going to do is, I've ordered the correct one for up near the oil pump but since the other is already there in the sump I will repair it using Lowell's method. I have some of that JB weld which is a two part epoxy, I thought I'd give that a try although maybe that RTV would be more resilient to temperature changes. I'll put some small bullet connectors or such on both senders so I can easily swap from one to the other. It will be interesting to see how different the temperature readings are on the two senders. I'm guessing quite a bit as I think the one next to the pump is after it's been through the cooler but before the engine and what Rotax intended when specifying operating parameters. The other is obviuosly after it's been through the engine but before cooling.
    I wonder if using different products to secure the thermister and wires would give slightly different readings because of the different makeup of the individual products or whether it all ends up the same temperature anyway....

Sandgroper,

What I did with the red RTV was to place some around the wires. Also placed a bit a couple inches down the wire to tack the wires to the engine with the idea that this might help prevent the wires from moving with vibration.

Although I haven't done what Lowell has in re-manufacturing the sender, I would be reluctant to use anything other than epoxy to pot the thermister.

I am thinking you have a beautiful place to fly where you live Great reason to get the plane back in the air!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave. Sure is a nice place down here. I’ll endeavour to get a few photos for the site once I’m out and about in her. Got to do a recreational certificate conversion from my GA licence before they’ll let me loose.