Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Turtle deck cutting

Default Turtle deck cutting

I am about to install the hinge in a new turtle deck for the baggage option. But I am apprehensive about how to cut the material without making a disaster our of it. Any suggestions on how to cut the Lexan without damaging it? Thanks.

Default Re: Turtle deck cutting

If I do this to mine I would use two straight edge objects clamped to the plexi. I would use a plastic cutting wheel on my dremel and run it between the straight edges. Since your installing a hinge that will hide the cut edge, I would think perfection on the cut line is not that important. I would still dress up the cut edge to rid it of any stress points.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm pretty sure everyone develops their own personal style but many of the key elements are similar. I use one edge of masking tape as my guideline and use a cut off wheel - in either a Dremel (a little slower) or in a die grinder (faster). I prefer moving the cutting disc so that the disc rotation is against the direction of the cut. That puts dust in front of the movement and has to be removed when it builds to the point of covering the cut line - but the wheel doesn't want to pull itself into a place you don't want. Some folks cut the other direction because the cut line stays visible but that tends to build a bridge of solidifying material across the cut behind the wheel and has to be removed before the next pass. Which ever way you prefer, the key is to not cut too deep in any one pass; take your time. Once about 3 passes are complete you'll have a grove that makes it easier to follow the line. That's when I naturally start to go faster and forget the rules - with predictable results. Eddie points out something key - because the hinge will cover the main part of the longest cut, start there. If I am remembering correctly, doesn't the cut for the hinge have to be fairly wide - which means two cuts and lots of practice? (Double check, I may be thinking of another part.) And, if you are going with the flap drive rod hole option (rather then the slot), I'd recommend cutting or drilling the hole before making the cuts in the sides.

I used a thin hacksaw blade to cut the Lexan (polycarbonate). It's tough stuff and not so prone to cracking as acrylic (Plexiglas). Draw a line, take your time and go slow. A blade holder is handy...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Did you get the instructions for installing the hinge?
    B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk